From buff to beef

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
MontanaBirdKiller writted: I've had both grass fed and grain fed Buffalo. Young grain fed is by far the best. Still, I have to say, grain fed young beef is much better.

This post got me to thinking. Do you also see a difference in the meat texture of say a 8-9 weight steer versus the same type that would finish out 4-5 hundred pounds heavier? I've only tried this one time and to me the meat had a different texture to it. It wasn't as marbled but it was tender. Also seemed like the meat fibers themselves were shorter. Anyone else notice anything like this on younger - not completely finished - animals?

I have noticed. I killed one a couple of years ago that was 660 pounds on the hoof. Meat was good, meat was tender, but it just was not the steaks that we are accustomed to. I'm not sure if it was shorter fiber or what, but it was just different. I like them about 1200 pounds on the hoof now when they're processed.

And yes, grain finished!

Someone should begin a thread about grain fed versus grass fed beef. Many of us are confused and do not understand. :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

HerefordSire":35amhyxg said:
Someone should begin a thread about grain fed versus grass fed beef. Many of us are confused and do not understand. :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:lol2: Yes, that would be of great interest!

ga. prime":366vvxlr said:
HerefordSire":366vvxlr said:
:lol2: Yes, that would be of great interest!

Seems like I know a guy around here that could lecture us all on that. :dunce:

Latest posts