from a local ad, advise please

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
I know there is much more info needed but is it worth taking a look? It's from a local ad in my town.

I have 11 Black Angus Calves for sale. The calves will weigh around 450 pounds. I was going to keep them awhile longer but I am short on hay and going to reduce my herd now. I will seperate but will give a person a better price if they take all. I will take $450 each for all or you can have picking choice for $500 each.

He doesn't say how old they are. Could be a year old :shock:

Todays price here is $1.19/pound. This is pretty close to what he is asking. His 450 pounds might really be 400 though.

tncattle":1vyr1r2s said:
I know there is much more info needed but is it worth taking a look? It's from a local ad in my town.

I have 11 Black Angus Calves for sale. The calves will weigh around 450 pounds. I was going to keep them awhile longer but I am short on hay and going to reduce my herd now. I will seperate but will give a person a better price if they take all. I will take $450 each for all or you can have picking choice for $500 each.

If you have plenty of hay I would. If you are going to have to carry them out of a sack through the winter no way.
Are you wanting to raise repalcements which is more costly than buying heavies. Are you wanting to hold till spring and sell?

tncattle":197kxaqx said:

450 wt. Calves have been averaging 1.05-1.12 a lb. around here.

tncattle":34ki8blc said:

that sounds like a good deal to me.he is knocking off the commission an hauling if you take them all.im with the others .find out their age.you didnt say if they was steers or heifers or both.

My 4wt steers brought 1.25 on Monday, 5wts 1.19, and 6wts were 1.1375.

cfpinz

I prefer to buy off the farm than thru the sale barn for many reasons. When I do, the seller and I agree on a $/lb price when I see them, and also on where to weigh them.

If they weigh 450 lbs i would think they have to be under 6 months of age. Probably close to 5 months old. If they are 7 months or older and only weigh 450 lbs something would appear to be wrong with them to me.(stunted or something ?)

I'd take a look. Might be some of the finest calves you've ever seen. Might not. Guy sounds reasonable. Heck, he's in line with me. I also charge an extra $50 if you are going to pick and choose and make me sort out the cute ones for you. ;-) :lol:

Can't say without see them.

If their good Angus cattle they would bring 585. each in MN.

Min 1.30 per pound for 450 pound calves.

Latest posts