Friend bought an Old Tank and found some older Angus and Simmental Genetics in there... does anyone have experience with these bulls?

Help Support CattleToday:

TwoByrdsMG

Reaction score
She had a bunch of canes in there and had them evaluated by the Select Sire rep to determine which bulls they were. She was really glad she was able to confirm that this tank had been well cared for and had some usable semen!

Is anyone familiar with any of these bulls?

Angus:
MON Reposa Chaparral (1976!)- I found a picture of this bull and am tempted to buy this single straw from her.
Fairfield Hi Guy
MSU Free State 343
Cracker Jack Jackson
Moore
MR Angus
GHR Silent Partner
Big Elban DB 107

Simmental/Fullbloods:
Take It to The Limit
Bold Leader- found an image
Canadian Salvitor
MR SBL Sazu Zazoo (Horned Full Blood)
Single Nick Doubletime- found an image

Brangus:
Brinks Bravo
DAC Rocky
Envy Jose (Brahman?)
Special Effect (Brahman?)

Bulls from that era were all 7 and above frame scores. I vaguely remember some of the Simmental names. Good, big cattle, but calving ease wasn't in vogue yet. Same with the Brangus. Fairfield Hi Guy was 6' tall and 6" wide. Big Elban and Cracker Jack were bigger framed, but also had some muscle. If I remember right Mr Angus was a cow maker and MSU Freestate was not. That goes back a ways, but that's the way I remember them. I think I would check a straw of that semen just to make sure it's good. That's a long time to maintain a tank

Ken Caryl Mr. Angus(I'm old enough to remember when he was popular) was, last I read, the oldest confirmed carrier of the Developmental Duplication (DD) genetic defect...so, did it originate in him, or further back, but no genetic material to test? IDK.

We used Single Nick Doubletime, and a couple of sons/grandsons, back in the day. Made really good commercial SimAngus cows... but you'll likely get some diluted reds/blacks.
I'd certainly consider using Bold Leader(Fleckvieh) on the right cows.

Here's a thread, over at another site, on 'Resurrection of the 1980s Simmentals'... might be worth a read to see if there's pertinent info on any of those old Simmental sires that would persuade - or dissuade - you about using them.

Nostalgia sometimes can get the best of you. Yeah, those old bulls may have really been something back in the day - and some still have something to offer today... but sometimes our memories fool us. If you look at EPDs on some of those bulls(I just did)... you may find yourself questioning yourself... 'Do I really want to go that far backwards on one trait or another?"

Last edited:
MON Reposa Chaparral was actually born in 1971. Thomas Angus in Baker City Oregon used Chaparral and his son Thomas Chaps who was born in 1976, heavily. Almost all of their cows go back to them. They also used Chapparel's grandfather MON Reposa Big John. You could try talking to Rob Thomas and see what he remembers about the bull. Thomas Angus sells over a 1000 bulls every year in Oregon, California and Wyoming. I believe Thomas Angus began operating as a seed-stock operation back in the early 1970's and they owned both Big John and Chaparral in partnership with other ranches at that time.

I used Mr. Angus, Single Nick Doubletime and Bold Leader. No complaints about any of them. Bold Leader seemed to be great at making daughters. Same with Doubletime. Mr. Angus was one of the big-framed guys that had a lot of thickness with it. Just looked through a 1990 catalog the other day. Wow, there were some giant frames with shallow muscle on a bunch of them back then. Not uncommon to see just the belt buckle and legs and not the top of the ten-gallon hat of some of the folks standing behind the bull in the photos.

We had a 1990 model Generation III (Single Nick Doubletime son) daughter(1/2SM-1/2AN) that lived to 18, and produced a cracker-jack calf every year. Great disposition, but she aborted a mid-term calf her last time out, the only reason she took a ride to town. I almost bought some Gen III semen on clearance a couple years ago - and some Lovana(Angus) semen - just for nostalgia's sake... but when I looked at epds, compared to current sires we'd been using... I just couldn't pull the trigger.
If I'd had 200 head instead of 80, I might have dallied in the past a bit...

I have personal experience with Bold Leader. He is in the background of the current herd and have 2 daughters that are in production. He is a cow maker and provides muscling with milk. Canadian Salvador provided length with more solid patterned offspring, but rumor has it they could be a little higher strung. Doubletime was also known for his daughters, but he also added more frame and style. I never liked the looks of Limit as he was light muscled and and looked to me that he should have been made into a steer. Your last bull has Zazou breeding which provides a dark color, muscling and harder calving genetics from what I have found.

Thought it would be fun to update this post. Semen was good!

We used (of the older semen):

MR Angus
Take it to the Limit

Newer semen (mostly heifers and a couple 2 year olds):
Connealy Comrade

We will try more next year if the calves turn out good. Otherwise we will BBQ!

Cows are black angus x and red angus x all with some clubby influence. Neighbor let me learn how to AI using her herd since there weren't any AI schools in Oregon this year that I could jump into. Only 17 ladies but I know I got through the cervix and had a good heat/tone on 11 of them. Had 6 non responders to the TAI but came back that evening and stuck straws in 3 more. Dumped it in the other 3 and don't have much hope for those (could not even get through the cervix). Turning out the bull Sunday and should know in 2 weeks what my arm can do!