Fried onion rings?

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
Any good deep fried onion ring recipes? I tried some the other night, I used a very good sweet onion (Walla Walla), but missed on the batter.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Alan

Try a mixture of 50% flour and 50% corn meal with enough whole milk to get it to the thickness you want it. This mixture tastes great!

Cup of milk to an egg, wisk together. Dip your onions in this and then in flour (I season mine with salt and pepper). Back into the egg and milk then flour again. Don't crowd in the deep fryer.

If you like the thin crispy alternative...

Slice onions thinly and season, put in a freezer bag and in the freezer for an hour or two, put some self raising flour in the bag and shake to dust the onion rings. Deept fry till golden brown.

Don't know if it's a regional or national brand, but we love the breaders made by House Autry, and they have a mix specifically for onion rings. GOOD STUFF.

The beer batter is great,we use it with vegetables(deep fried)aswell.If you can't get recipes i have it.

Thanks for the great ideas, I'm going to try the onions in the freezer to get a little more crunch out of them. But I also would love to get a couple of beer batter recipes to use on onions as well as halibut and cod.... any help?

Thanks for the help.
Alan

got this one from one of my favorite websites Cooks.com, it's simple and tasty!!

BEER BATTER FOR FISH

1 c. beer
2 eggs
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 c. corn meal
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 c. flour

In a bowl combine all ingredients and mix well. Let mixture stand about a half hour before using. Dry fish well and dip in batter. Deep fry for best results. This batter can also be used for shrimp and scallops or any other seafood.

When you get your batter recipe figured out go get yourself some Poblano chili's and cut rings off those and give em a try.

This may be the easy way out or sounds like it but we like to buy Bisquick and just mix pancake batter. We also like Vidalia onions sliced thin. Just dip in batter and deep fried at 375 degrees until light golden brown. It`s a simple fix but mighty tasty. If you try it let me know how they were.

Circle H Ranch

combine flour, seasonings, and baking powder. In a measuring cup, whisk together egg and milk. Add milk mixture to dry ingredients, blending well. Dip onion rings into batter, then drip into deep fat at about 365°.

Latest posts