Fried Chicken on Good Eats

Help Support CattleToday:

brandonm_13

Reaction score
Anybody else see the show the other night? My wife watches food network whenever possible, but I have to admit, Good Eats is a show I can get into. Anyway, he was showing how to make fried chicken by soaking in buttermilk overnight, sprinkling with a poultry shake, rolling in flower, and frying in a cast iron skillet(I love cast iron). I have to admit I'm not a big chicken fan. I usually prefer beef, but I've got chicken soaking ready to fry tonight. I just hope mine turns out like his did... :???:

I've got that recipe saved, but haven't tried it yet.

The show was Good Eats / Alton Brown and aired March 17, 2009. Here is the link to the show recipe:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alto ... index.html

Here is the recipe:

Cook Time

20 min
Level

Intermediate
Yield

3 to 4 servings

Recipe Tools:
Print Recipe
Get Card
Save Recipe
Ingredients
1 broiler/fryer chicken, cut into 8 pieces
2 cups low fat buttermilk
2 tablespoons kosher salt
2 tablespoons Hungarian paprika
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Flour, for dredging
Vegetable shortening, for frying
Directions

Place chicken pieces into a plastic container and cover with buttermilk. Cover and refrigerate for 12 to 24 hours.

Melt enough shortening (over low heat) to come just 1/8-inch up the side of a 12-inch cast iron skillet or heavy fry pan. Once shortening liquefies raise heat to 325 degrees F. Do not allow oil to go over 325 degrees F.

Drain chicken in a colander. Combine salt, paprika, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper. Liberally season chicken with this mixture. Dredge chicken in flour and shake off excess.

Place chicken skin side down into the pan. Put thighs in the center, and breast and legs around the edge of the pan. The oil should come half way up the pan. Cook chicken until golden brown on each side, approximately 10 to 12 minutes per side. More importantly, the internal temperature should be right around 180 degrees. (Be careful to monitor shortening temperature every few minutes.)

Drain chicken on a rack over a sheet pan. Don't drain by setting chicken directly on paper towels or brown paper bags. If you need to hold the chicken before serving, cover loosely with foil but avoid holding in a warm oven, especially if it's a gas oven.

brandonm_13":1box5nw7 said:
Anybody else see the show the other night? My wife watches food network whenever possible, but I have to admit, Good Eats is a show I can get into. Anyway, he was showing how to make fried chicken by soaking in buttermilk overnight, sprinkling with a poultry shake, rolling in flower, and frying in a cast iron skillet(I love cast iron). I have to admit I'm not a big chicken fan. I usually prefer beef, but I've got chicken soaking ready to fry tonight. I just hope mine turns out like his did... :???:
I CANNOT BELIEVE YOUR ASKING THIS!!!
My husband has been obsessing over this...went out and bought the buttermilk and thats what we're having for dinner Monday night. I'll let you know how ours turns out...you know you can look the episode up on Food Network if you forget anything. The hubby wrote it all down though...I think you have to soak the chicken in the buttermilk overnight don't you?

come on guys yall are making me hungry for fried chicken.an i cant eat fried foods yet because i dont have any upper teeth.

Grandmother always made a wash before putting the chicken in the flour. It same as ya'lls but she added a beaten egg. It makes the flour stick a little more. Now for extra chrispy chicken,after you batter it, wash it again and batter it one more time! Its messy but its good eaten!

Well, it turned out really well. Soaking it overnight really made it flavorful all the way through. I even made some for my Mom's birthday this weekend. I may have to soak some more for tomorrow night. :D

Anything that can hide the taste of barnyard buzzard can;t be all bad. If you really have to eat it.