Friday the Thirtennth

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd

Reaction score
Well got that day behind me. Started out pretty well as normal.Eat breakfast and drank coffee as usual. Got to farm about eleven and put the cows into a new pasture. This is the maternity pen. One cow that I had been watching was not in the herd. Got on the side by side and started looking hoping to find her with a new calf. I found her with a calf with its head sticking out about its ears. Something had already chewed the end of its tongue off. After several tries to move her we were going in circles Finally got her going and she decided to cross the pond. I had to chunk sticks at her to get her out. I am not a very good chunker. Finally got her in the loading pen. The truck was hooked to the trailer but the battery was dead. Got it jumped off and backed up to the chute and the cow loaded first try thought the day was turning around. I had turned the truck off and the battery still was down. Walked back across the pasture and got the Ford Ranger pickup and jumped it off again. The vet closes until two o'clock each day. Finally got in and had to wait for the cow vet to get back from a call. Had to cut the head from the calf and finally got it pulled. This cow was 1/2 Hereford and 1/2 red Angus Bred to a low birth red angus bull. The calf was a bull and was very large probable from the Hereford genetics. The cow is up and around today and I hope all goes well for me this week will have to wait and see.

Sorry you lost the calf hopefully the cow recovers.
Bred to a low birth red angus bull
Regardless of sire breed Birth wt per se is meaningless sans additional information e.g. his CED & CEM EPDs. Some 60% of calf birth weight is attributed to the dam & environmental factors. Would be helpful if you'd post the sires RAAA #.

What a horrible day sounds like a scary movie. Hows the cow recovering ?

Chevy said:
What a horrible day sounds like a scary movie. Hows the cow recovering ?
The vet put some long lasting antibiotic behind the ear. Unloaded her in the pasture with the rest of the cows. She acts like nothing happened.

Had to pull two first calvers this year..two big bull calves..been hard for a veteran cow too birth..thought I had done my homework ..but mammy nature..

Latest posts