Freshening heifer cost

Help Support CattleToday:

thats a hard q top end heifers bring $1000 to $1300.an maybe lower now since the dairy is in the crapper.

bigbull338":19tt5h7z said:
thats a hard q top end heifers bring $1000 to $1300.an maybe lower now since the dairy is in the crapper.

That's about right Bull.....a few still hit $1,500 occasionally....on any given day I'd say a more "typical" fresh milker would be around $1000. Well down from last year when $2500 wasn't uncommon.

melanie":117sn2md said:
I would like to buy a load for that kind of money up here in Canada.

A few phone calls would probably have them on the way pretty quickly, but freight, feed, and papework would probably add several hundred dollars per head to the purchase price.

dairy heifer calves are in the crapper.top end holsteins jerseys an jersey x calves was selling today for $75 to $200 a hd.freemartin heifer calves was $60 an under.bull calves was selling for $40 an under.a few started bull calves might bring $60 if you was lucky.

I've talked to a couple people that went to the nearest dairy sale. They said bred Holstein heifers were selling for around $850. I was paying more than that for open heifers last year when I bought out the shares on them.

novaman":1a9c7dea said:
I've talked to a couple people that went to the nearest dairy sale. They said bred Holstein heifers were selling for around $850. I was paying more than that for open heifers last year when I bought out the shares on them.

Yep....3 day old heifer calves were bringing $600 here.

All we need to bring them up here is brucellosis,tuberculosis and anaplasmose plus a tatoo in the right ear with 3 letters, U S A. So it's not that bad and I already contact people in Pennsylvania to check around if there's any available and the way they said it won't be long to fill up a trailer load.I am only 600 miles from there.

melanie":pp4h9j7i said:
All we need to bring them up here is brucellosis,tuberculosis and anaplasmose plus a tatoo in the right ear with 3 letters, U S A. So it's not that bad and I already contact people in Pennsylvania to check around if there's any available and the way they said it won't be long to fill up a trailer load.I am only 600 miles from there.
Are there no replacements up there? Or is it the more reasonable to bring in heifers from the US? What kind of a trailer are we talking? Like a semi trailer? How many head?

We need milk to fill up our quota and starting August 1 we are allow to ship two extra days of milk so you better do it and it's the same for the 65 hundred dairy producers.At this time of the year we all looking for milk.So a gooseneck trailer or a pot belly don't make any difference to us as long as they look good.The P.B. are always easier to sell if they are good.

melanie":276urtr1 said:
We need milk to fill up our quota and starting August 1 we are allow to ship two extra days of milk so you better do it and it's the same for the 65 hundred dairy producers.At this time of the year we all looking for milk.So a gooseneck trailer or a pot belly don't make any difference to us as long as they look good.The P.B. are always easier to sell if they are good.
Curious as to why they would be allowing extra milk. Putting extra milk out there isn't going to help the prices for anyone. This quota system doesn't sound like something that would fix the market problems we are currently having. If anything it sounds like it would hinder the market.

Top price milk cow of any kind last week at the Sulphur Springs, TX dairy sale brought less than $1000. Down $2000 from the top sellers last year!
The baby heifer calves ranged an average of $150 for a holstein and a little less for a jersey.

I'm not sure how that's paying considering the low price of milk and what the dams of these calves cost last year?

francismilker":1n5bsy8r said:
Top price milk cow of any kind last week at the Sulphur Springs, TX dairy sale brought less than $1000. Down $2000 from the top sellers last year!
The baby heifer calves ranged an average of $150 for a holstein and a little less for a jersey.

I'm not sure how that's paying considering the low price of milk and what the dams of these calves cost last year?

Francis that is more in line with what cattle "use to" bring. But I'm hearing milk prices of $9.50 to $10.50 depending on solids in the milk which pay bonus'. Raising replacements in Texas is hard work but beats the heck out of going to the sale and paying big $$$$ for something you now absolutely nothing about except what the auctioneer might say about them and there's a good chance a lot of the so-called "top cows" or HIS cattle.

These low prices are bringing about what I have feared for awhile. The other day on the radio a dairy south of Bismarck was talking about expanding from 525 head to 850. They cited cheap cattle as the main reason for expanding. We are trying to contract the national herd, not expand it. All the work of CWT and producers voluntarily culling with be for not if a few of these dairies decide to start picking up cheap animals just to fill the barns. I absolutely hate the idea of having a supply management program but this may be the only way to keep some of these dairies from expanding excessively.

novaman":meajkj97 said:
These low prices are bringing about what I have feared for awhile. The other day on the radio a dairy south of Bismarck was talking about expanding from 525 head to 850. They cited cheap cattle as the main reason for expanding. We are trying to contract the national herd, not expand it. All the work of CWT and producers voluntarily culling with be for not if a few of these dairies decide to start picking up cheap animals just to fill the barns. I absolutely hate the idea of having a supply management program but this may be the only way to keep some of these dairies from expanding excessively.
dont know you the CWT is for dairymen that want to retire or remodel their barns.it really doesnt remove that much milk from the market.an if the gov would quit importing dryed milk an other dairy products.there would not be an oversupply.i dont blame dairies who decide to expand when cattle are cheap.i talked to a kid the other day that i know his parents.an they moved their dairy out to west tx several years ago.an they are milking 4000hd right now plus dry cows.an he said his dad is slowly expanding the herd from there.i know what the real prob is facing the dairies.but i wont ever say what that is.

bigbull338":axtpz320 said:
novaman":axtpz320 said:
dont know you the CWT is for dairymen that want to retire or remodel their barns.it really doesnt remove that much milk from the market.an if the gov would quit importing dryed milk an other dairy products.there would not be an oversupply.i dont blame dairies who decide to expand when cattle are cheap.i talked to a kid the other day that i know his parents.an they moved their dairy out to west tx several years ago.an they are milking 4000hd right now plus dry cows.an he said his dad is slowly expanding the herd from there.i know what the real prob is facing the dairies.but i wont ever say what that is.
I don't blame others for expanding either. I just wish they wouldn't. We haven't even recovered in price and the future prices are already being dropped because we just can't seem to cut production enough to balance supply and demand. I doubt you know what the real problem is because you would be rich if you could solve the issues going on right now.

oh i could cut the over production in the US pretty quick.but it would upset alot of dairymen thats come in here from other countries.saddly they are the reason we arnt milking cows today.

novaman":2io56nlk said:

I can understand increasing cow numbers when the price of cattle is down but at the same time milk prices are not at a profitable level. In the short run all he's doing is increasing his loss. In the long run IF everything works out he might make money off the deal so I guess it's a gamble at best.

Latest posts