bward

Reaction score
DSC00971.jpg

2 year old simm gert cross with 5 minute old gert sired baby

DSC00969.jpg

yearling heifers chowing down

DSC00967.jpg

yearling bull

newborns... the fun part of this business... nice cattle..

jt

Nice looking cattle, Bward.

Did you get a big dump of snow down there lately? Last weekend was a nightmare, so hopefully it's giving you folks a miss.

Have you noticed any higher incidences of 'frozen eartips' with your Santas than over the more traditional stock? Just curious, as I've never encountered any like them up here.

Take care and happy calving.

Our big dump of snow only amounted to a couple of inches and as you can see by the pics, its pretty much gone now. It started to warm up Friday and yesterday the fields were almost too soft to drive in. 16 C

We have had a few frozen ear tips ( maybe a dozen in the last 20 years...... none last year and none were purebreds ) but we tend to calve when it gets warmer like now but the weather doesn't always cooperate. Gerts are very thick hided and it seems that only the delicate wet new born ears are a risk for freezing. Once they are dry they are pretty much safe. Honestly though it does amaze me that they don't freeze them when its 40 below cause even though they do get a thick winter coat their ears stay almost hairless, throughout the year. The one consolation is that I never have trouble reading an ear tag-- cept for my aging vision.

I bought some 'traditional' cows one year and they calved in February. Now that was a nightmare.... frozen ears, frozen feet. Cows trying to clean with a frozen tissue icicles hanging from them. It was just horrible.... they all survived but it took a lot out of me. I had to bed daily to keep on top of the snow.... and bed in so many places to encourage the cows the calve on the straw and not a drift of snow. I had to hot box all the calves born.... swipe them away from their mother as ice was forming on them faster then the cow could lick dry. I had a lot of cows mad at me that year. Never again will I do that.