Fresh Milk

Help Support CattleToday:

I had a vet several years ago (retired now, works for Pfizer) who suffered from Undulant Fever. He'd nicked himself with the needle while bangs vaccinating heifers. Heard about a professor who had caught it from dealing with a lot of aborted fetuses due to brucellosis (research project or something).

On the topic of raw milk, I've had quite a bit of it and it hasn't hurt me yet. :p :)

I love raw milk, used to milk a Swiss and then a Jersey by hand. Strain it through cheese cloth, then get it good and cold. Never hurt me or my family. We used to let the cream rise over night and make butter. My ex-wife learned how to make it in a blender and she'd have it made in a few minutes. We had several people who bought raw milk and eggs from us each week. Of course, we were breaking the law I guess. I always said that when I retire I'm going to get another Jersey and have fresh milk. I just don't have time to milk a cow now.

milkmaid":2h35r0j5 said:
I had a vet several years ago (retired now, works for Pfizer) who suffered from Undulant Fever.

I had a buddy whose vet dad got the same thing. He couldn't or wouldn't work on cattle anymore. He just did small animals and horses.

Angus/Brangus
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
novatech wrote:
John Wayne wrote:
I went to buy a couple heifers from a fellow and after we did the deal I saw he ran a small herd of milk cows and we got to gabbin about milk cows, long story short, I came home with a gallon of milk that just came out of a cow. I tried a sip from a cup while there in the milk shed, thought a sip cant kill me. It was very good. And I'm still kicken today. Anybody see any reason why we cant make icecream outa this stuff? Or drink it or use it for cooking? I always thought milk was for calves and I'v never tried to milk a cow so I dont know much about raw milk. But it sure was good.

When you make icecream with milk straight from the cow you will get little flakes of butter mixed in with it. This is caused from not skiming off the cream and not being homoginized. I liked it.

That is darn right nasty!!! Flakes of butter? Disgusting.

Where do you think that butter pecan ice creme came from? :D

I grew up drinking bulk tank milk, and still do occasionally from my boss' tank. Granted this is filtered and ran through a cooler before I ever take it, but I think it tastes far better than even A and D from the store.