fresh liver

Help Support CattleToday:

I ate tongue ONCE. In Italy they didn;t peel it. So as you chewed it it licked.

Jim62":3cissrg6 said:
Could you give some specifics about cooking a tongue? I remember sandwiches from waaaay back, either sliced real thin or as a salad(?), and they were real good. I have no idea how to cook one, but I'd like to give it a try.

Cure it for a week in a solution made from commercial pickling spice. (if you inject the pickle water it usually cures in a day or two)

Cook for about two hours, slice like bread and pour a sweetish prepared mustard over the tongue and bake for about 45 mins.

dun":10grrag0 said:
msscamp":10grrag0 said:
dun":10grrag0 said:
The second best cut of meat from a steer!

Before I agree with you - is the 2nd best cut of meat liver or heart? :lol:
Liver! The heart just gets ground with the rest of the burger

Thanks for the clarification, and I agree with you wholeheartedly!

I thought the 2nd best cut was the oysters? My wife won't let me eat liver with "her home". I have to wait for her to leave for a week.

jasrnch":camea8ov said:
I thought the 2nd best cut was the oysters?

To each their own! :lol: :lol:

My wife won't let me eat liver with "her home". I have to wait for her to leave for a week.

You're wife sounds a lot like my Dad. Being the minx I am, I have been known - on occasion - to order liver and onions when we go out to eat, just so I can watch him turn a lovely shade of green when it arrives at the table! :lol: :lol: I usually stick to indulging my love of liver and onions at home, though, that way it doesn't offend other peoples sensitivities.

msscamp":1d8wempz said:
jasrnch":1d8wempz said:

My wife won't let me eat liver with "her home". I have to wait for her to leave for a week.

You're wife sounds a lot like my Dad. Being the minx I am, I have been known - on occasion - to order liver and onions when we go out to eat, just so I can watch him turn a lovely shade of green when it arrives at the table! :lol: :lol: I usually stick to indulging my love of liver and onions at home, though, that way it doesn't offend other peoples sensitivities.

OK, that's just plain creepy or you are just plain ignorant of the definition of 'minx'.

Word Tutor :
Home > Library > Words > Spelling & Usage minx

IN BRIEF: n. - A seductive woman who uses her attractiveness to exploit men.

Have only heard of cow tongue pickled (like everything else here :roll: ), and even I won't eat that.

Chris H":31zk3zff said:
msscamp":31zk3zff said:
jasrnch":31zk3zff said:

OK, that's just plain creepy or you are just plain ignorant of the definition of 'minx'.

Word Tutor :
Home > Library > Words > Spelling & Usage minx

IN BRIEF: n. - A seductive woman who uses her attractiveness to exploit men.

Leave it to you to try to make something ugly and depraved out of a simple word. :roll: Perhaps next time, you might want to try a dictionary. According to the American Heritage dictionary - Minx: an impudent young woman. Also according to the American Heritage dictionary - Impudent: Brashly bold; insolent; impertinent. Also according to the American Heritage dictionary - Insolent: Disrepectfully arrogant; impertinent; rude. Now, you are free to make of that what you will - I don't really give a **** one way or another - because when it comes right down to it, my relationship with my father is between me, and him and there is nothing improper about it.

Wow....I just was going to comment on having customers that will take all the tongues that we harvest along with the tails...liver and heart are not our best sellers. I love liver but having a bride who is a RN and a daughter that is a RNP, I get the whole colesterol lecture every time that I fry some up. DMc

I love Oxtail! can make lots of good soups and stews with that. I did toss the tongues, couldnt cut em up for the dogs even. I hacked the liver up in strips and its in the freezer...for dogs. lol
the butcher just called to go over what I wanted, boy are they sure picky!!! all my steaks have to be the same size, no prime steak cut thick and tough steak cut thinner...wanted me to put up lots of it in roasts...said no I dont like roast, cut it in steaks dang it!! they wouldnt even cut me 2 porterhouse and then the rest in new york and filet, said I had to have one or the other.... :(

Never eaten cow tongue but those that have telle me that once you skin it and grill it or whatever it's like eating a steak. Have had my share of liver and love it. My mom use to cover it with meal and fry it real slow...along with some onions. Mighty good. Now those lungs and kidneys and all that stuff you can use to make pretty good stink bait. :lol2:

5minpins":3c3ivcaq said:
I love Oxtail! can make lots of good soups and stews with that. I did toss the tongues, couldnt cut em up for the dogs even. I hacked the liver up in strips and its in the freezer...for dogs. lol
the butcher just called to go over what I wanted, boy are they sure picky!!! all my steaks have to be the same size, no prime steak cut thick and tough steak cut thinner...wanted me to put up lots of it in roasts...said no I dont like roast, cut it in steaks dang it!! they wouldnt even cut me 2 porterhouse and then the rest in new york and filet, said I had to have one or the other.... :(
I love oxtail too, and it is impossible to find!!
You need a different locker ~ I cannot imagine mine telling me how I can and cannot have something cut.

I coat my liver with seasoned whole wheat flour and pan fry it. THe whole wheat makes a big difference over white flower though I don't usually prefer whole wheat braeds, etc.

Calves liver is better than beef liver but pork liver is even better. How many liver haters here nonetheless eat chicken liver?

I think there are a lot of pepople who have never been hungry, really hungry, or they wouldn't be so particular.

hehe I been hungry, the only reason I ate beef liver and HOT peppers in corn tortillas, with a beer. I was hungry!

Angus B YA should have seen me trying to rinse off them large livers and cut them up for the freezer :shock: they went shooting thru my hands like a damn fish and skittered across the floor flopping all over, squirted out of my hands in the sink and across my clean counters...I personally dont think they were dead yet...stinking things...damn dogs are lucky I think about them on occasion.

make liver an vidalia onions/bacon for my husband, but i just can't come around to it, yet. now i was always told never to eat deer liver from the north where the deer munch on mountain laural. makes one wonder what is in all livers. however, bison liver was coveted in the west, by native americans. i'm sure it has it's values.