fresh liver

Help Support CattleToday:

5minpins

Reaction score
Ok Sorry, I forgot to ask, have fresh liver and hearts. usually the meat cutter takes them and wraps them but this time I had them left here. should I toss them in the fridge for a few days before I wrap them for the freezer or can I get them cleaned up and freeze them now? what do you guys usually do with them? I love beef heart but the dogs will get the livers later on. oh yeah...fresh tripe STINKS!!!!!!!!

saved the heart its a muscle lol, froze the liver for dog bait, I show dogs and boiled liver makes them stand up pretty nice. funny how nobody eats liver and onions anymore.

I don't mind the heart so much, but I'd as soon eat a live toad than the liver.
We have our cattle shot and quartered on the farm. Liver is whats for supper that very night. Heart is the same way, it is never frozen, just eaten that day or the next.
I am thinking you could freeze, no reason to sit it out. It doesn't need to age.

I suspect that few of our great grandparents would have reponded similarly if asked about the 'variety meats'.

We Americans sure have gotten soft and spoiled.

the liver is good cut in thin strips done on the BBQ

as for the heart. we cut it up and cook it in a roasting pan with homemade stuffing..

I dont eat liver, unless I was drunk and it was cooked in beer and jalapenos and wrapped in a corn tortilla... I no longer drink so I guess I no longer eat liver! :lol: I like beef heart dredged in flour and fried. but tell me, who still eats beef tongue? my dad used to :shock: I think the yote pack will have a good dinner cause I just cant cut them up.

msscamp":312ob2yq said:
dun":312ob2yq said:
The second best cut of meat from a steer!

Before I agree with you - is the 2nd best cut of meat liver or heart? :lol:
Liver! The heart just gets ground with the rest of the burger

5minpins":2seqlgvy said:
I dont eat liver, unless I was drunk and it was cooked in beer and jalapenos and wrapped in a corn tortilla... I no longer drink so I guess I no longer eat liver! :lol: I like beef heart dredged in flour and fried. but tell me, who still eats beef tongue? my dad used to :shock: I think the yote pack will have a good dinner cause I just cant cut them up.

I do. Pickled, cooked and serve with mustard. One of the most tender muscles in a bovine. I love liver, but haven't eaten beef heart since my granddad died 21 years ago. I ahven't seen it for sale in a butcher shop or supermarket for years.

Have an aunt that makes what she calls creamed liver. Its served with some kind of white sauce/gravy and it is very gooooood. Also beef tongue is one of my favorite meats. I bet i probably eat around a dozen a year as friends and family who buy steers to butcher refuse it. Their loss, my gain. :tiphat:

Could you give some specifics about cooking a tongue? I remember sandwiches from waaaay back, either sliced real thin or as a salad(?), and they were real good. I have no idea how to cook one, but I'd like to give it a try.

Jim62":1c1o0xsv said:
Could you give some specifics about cooking a tongue? I remember sandwiches from waaaay back, either sliced real thin or as a salad(?), and they were real good. I have no idea how to cook one, but I'd like to give it a try.
Trim the base end if it has any blood and wash it in cold water. Place in a pan with enough cold salted water to cover. Bring to a boil and then turn down to a ''simmer'' and cook for a couple of hours till tender. Remove from water and let it cool a bit, then peel the skin off like you would a scalded tomato. At this point I like to let them finish cooling and slice them cross ways for cold sandwitches with mustard on them :cowboy:

As to liver, heart and tongue, I prefer calf liver its not as strong flavored but have family and friends that love beef liver. The heart, I have a few friends that eat that too. The tongue, I don't eat that but have a few friends that love it. They prepare it as was posted....the boiling, then peel it then slice it method.

The same applies to the hogs I kill.

Katherine

Oh man... some of the descriptions is enough to make me queasy! :shock: I just cant do beef tongue, my dad used to eat it and he made all of us kids eat for dinner one night, his mistake was showing it to us before he cooked it... He had to clean up the mess on the table when he made us try it though, serves him right. I called a few people and offered them what I had and not one of them would take it lol. the dogs wont mind tho... the creamed liver image in my head just isnt going well with my coffee!! :secret:

Latest posts