Freezing Rain Forecast

Help Support CattleToday:

reeler

Reaction score
Just saw forecast, predicting freezing rain 3 days in a row. I have a small herd, including 2 weaned calves- 9 months old.Wondering if it would be wise to pen up the 2 together in loafing barn if it starts getting bad? I've always been told not to pen cows up in a barn, but thought I'd ask.They're already stressed because the herd was just downsized. Maybe it's me who's stressed :cry:

I would set it up if possible so that they would have access to a bedded area in a barn but leave the doors open so they can come and go but still get in out of the ice/freezing rain.

dun":2six56eh said:
I would set it up if possible so that they would have access to a bedded area in a barn but leave the doors open so they can come and go but still get in out of the ice/freezing rain.
Thank you so much for answering my question. I can & will do as you suggest.
I think it's the boy scout motto to be prepared-All us in the path of this ice better batten down the hatches!

What Dun said. Our main herd has the option of going to the barn; sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.

Looks like it's supposed to hit western KS Fri morning & move to the east that evening. They're already predicting down power lines. Get the generator ready :frowns:

They haven;t made up their minds yet but they are calling for 1/10 to 1/2 inch of ice for us starting late thursday through friday. Sure glad I checked out the generator and have it ready to go.

You can spend a lot of time and worry about shelter and bedding, and when the storm arrives they've found a place out of the wind and under some cedar trees. And if you've dumped old hay bales in the barn for bedding, they eat it!

It never hurts to get them out of the weather, but it was -8F here last night with wind.. as long as the bellies are full they can handle it just fine... I don't know about yours, but mine have a pretty good winter coat.. even at these temps when the sun shines on their fur it's nice and warm to run your hands through

Nesikep":v3uth394 said:
It never hurts to get them out of the weather, but it was -8F here last night with wind.. as long as the bellies are full they can handle it just fine... I don't know about yours, but mine have a pretty good winter coat.. even at these temps when the sun shines on their fur it's nice and warm to run your hands through
The cold and wind isn;t an issue, it's the layer of ice

dun":x1zwhcag said:
Nesikep":x1zwhcag said:
The cold and wind isn;t an issue, it's the layer of ice
Yes,that ice is what I'm concerned about :frowns:

Nesikep":3thwf24i said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVHDbCosXFA
My cows after a night of freezing rain followed by 0F in the morning.. they weren't very happy
Thanks, that was so cool to see your gorgeous girls! They sure looked good, in spite of those brutal conditions.

TCRanch":2a9vcdz8 said:
What Dun said. Our main herd has the option of going to the barn; sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.

Looks like it's supposed to hit western KS Fri morning & move to the east that evening. They're already predicting down power lines. Get the generator ready :frowns:
I'm flying into Wichita Friday morning :shock:

reeler":1ejborwy said:
TCRanch":1ejborwy said:

Just checked weather.com & they now say the bad stuff isn't going to hit until Fri night, Sat/Sat night 100% chance.

Grew up in Wichita (go Shocks!), my family still lives there. Give me a head's up next time, I'm only an hour away!

TCRanch":3k6mw1br said:
reeler":3k6mw1br said:
TCRanch":3k6mw1br said:

Just checked weather.com & they now say the bad stuff isn't going to hit until Fri night, Sat/Sat night 100% chance.

Grew up in Wichita (go Shocks!), my family still lives there. Give me a head's up next time, I'm only an hour away!
TC, I sincerely appreciate your offer & weather update. I didn't know exact time storm was going to hit on Friday, & have been concerned. I fly into Wichita in AM,then have to drive home from there. So, should make it home before it gets bad, & can tend to all the animals.That's a relief.Thank You! Stay safe :)

This afternoon at 2PM it was 65. It is 29 right now, 9:30PM. Dun, I think it's coming to you from the North West. It was in the teens in the Dakotas today, and heading here! High tomorrow upper 20's.

D2Cat":3h1dhp5i said:
This afternoon at 2PM it was 65. It is 29 right now, 9:30PM. Dun, I think it's coming to you from the North West. It was in the teens in the Dakotas today, and heading here! High tomorrow upper 20's.
It was 71 here today and at almost midnight it's still 60.

dun":cyze5mcx said:
Strange that it's hitting west of us after it hits here
That is strange-so I went to the accuweather site you posted& typed in Wichita & it doesn't call for ice until Friday afternoon..I'll check again in morning.Glad you have generator ready.

reeler":3r9mit1m said:
dun":3r9mit1m said:
Strange that it's hitting west of us after it hits here
That is strange-so I went to the accuweather site you posted& typed in Wichita & it doesn't call for ice until Friday afternoon..I'll check again in morning.Glad you have generator ready.
In 2007 we didn;t have power for 15 days. Generator ran 24/7 the whole time. Ran everything on the farm except the water heater. Water heater has 2 1300 watt elements and the generator is only 1300 watts.

Latest posts