Freezer beef prices?

Help Support CattleToday:

mncowboy

Reaction score
For those of you who sell natural, hormone free, antibiotic free freezer beef; what are you charging?
Thanks in advance

Depends on how you want to sell the meat (ie. individual cuts of whole/half animal, etc). I would say the easiest route to go is to sell the whole animal to the customer and charge them by hanging weight.

Example: 1000 steer hangs at 600 lbs - you charge $2.50 hanging weight - customer pays you $1,500.00
Customer also pays for processing/packaging of meat, which is paid directly to processor.

If you sell individual cuts, the animal will need to be processed at a USDA inspected plant and you will probably need a state approved private label on each package of meat. Then you can price meat according to the individual cut.

I find if you limit your sales to those willing to take a whole or half, drive to a processor and handle/store/freeze that much beef you are really reducing the size of your potential market.

I have been charging $3.90/lb for a split half cut, wrapped, and delivered. I backed into this price by figuring I want the same net as selling a traditional fat for $1.30 at the sale barn.

A split half ends up being about 100 lb of beef which is a quantity many families can afford, handle, freeze/store and use in a reasonable amount of time. I have no cuts left over.

I may increase this a bit in the future due to fuel cost increases. With this method you can eat up a lot of time and fuel if you don't keep your customer base close together and focus your sales on one city/suburb etc.

Jim

SRBeef":96juzset said:
I find if you limit your sales to those willing to take a whole or half, drive to a processor and handle/store/freeze that much beef you are really reducing the size of your potential market.

I have been charging $3.90/lb for a split half cut, wrapped, and delivered. I backed into this price by figuring I want the same net as selling a traditional fat for $1.30 at the sale barn.

A split half ends up being about 100 lb of beef which is a quantity many families can afford, handle, freeze/store and use in a reasonable amount of time. I have no cuts left over.

I may increase this a bit in the future due to fuel cost increases. With this method you can eat up a lot of time and fuel if you don't keep your customer base close together and focus your sales on one city/suburb etc.

Jim

I only do split sides and wholes for inventory reasons. I used to sell individual but people would want the best steak and eventually leave me with 3Klbs of hamburger. Another reason is that freezer beef is not a big part of my gross sales and I only want to raise one group of steers per year. Time is the biggest problem by far. That said, I charge 3.00lb / sides packaged to a very select group.

I am charging $4.75 lb. packaged, delivered for a side. Individual cuts are retail priced. I sell a 25 and a 50 lb. variety pack also. $4.25 lb. for a whole.

Hayray, thats a good price!
Pasture and fed out or just grass?
Have you been selling many sides and to return customers?
Bill

I sell for 3.5-4/lb hanging weight depending on the animal and quality. Natural, packaged,I pay butcher fees, they pick up from my place.

I can tell I sure am cheap on prices!!! $1.75lb swinging weight and they pay processor.(no hormones or antibiotics but grain fed) Like to do the USDA for individual cuts but do not have a plant nearby to so this. Local man started an old fashion butcher shop..sells his steers and also boxed beef. Doing quite well. He bought a bull from us this year and he's working on increasing his marbling while retaining RE.
Valerie
Note: Repeat customers have commented on the tenderness of the animals. We have had a few tested and the sires range from +7 to +10 for tenderness and are high marblers.

BILL CLAYLAND":4askn8tp said:
Hayray, thats a good price!
Pasture and fed out or just grass?
Have you been selling many sides and to return customers?
Bill
The bulk of the beef gets sold as large quantities like sides and wholes but the most frequent customers are those that buy my 25 and 50 lb. variety packages and assorted individual cuts. Most of my business is repeat customers which is really important, especially in this economy. Overall sales not growing in the last couple years so I have also been selling at the auction recently. Good prices last time I went.

hooknline":38zgdq0y said:
I sell for 3.5-4/lb hanging weight depending on the animal and quality. Natural, packaged,I pay butcher fees, they pick up from my place.
That is one heck of a good price, are you getting many people paying that much?

Yes, but I only sell one or 2 a year right now. Mostly friends that know how I operate and most just buy a split side

hayray":2kafcb7t said:
hooknline":2kafcb7t said:
That is one heck of a good price, are you getting many people paying that much?

I suppose he is if he lives in Michigan, People up there just ain't too bright........ :lol2: GO BUCKEYES !!!

I know that sounds crazy high to a lot of you, but down here, feed, hay, lime, fertilizer, and land is also crazy high. I doubt I'm making anymore profit per finished head than you folks in higher latitudes.

SRBeef":1b2n5dkz said:

Jim
What sale barn is paying $1.30 for fat fed cattle?

Latest posts