freeze brands

Help Support CattleToday:

robdogtn

Reaction score
Okay, I searched for this but after looking threw lots of posts, I give up... So I want to start over.

Am I correct is saying that freeze branding will not cause a deduct due to hide damage? I am wanting to freeze brand my cattle, but not if it cost me money at end.

Also, if it does cost some due to hide damage, is front should better than hip for minimal damage?

Thanks

I've not seen it cost anything except the cost to register the brand and a few skent knees. If your state registers brands you will have to apply for use of your brand and where you will place it on the animal, there is usually a fee for that, but as far as getting docked for it at sale time, I haven't seen that in my area.

Freeze branding does not damage hides. It kills the pigment-producing cells in the follicle causing white hair to come back, or in light colored cattle no hair. I haven't seen it cause anyone to be discounted when it comes sale time.

upfrombottom":34pazgie said:
I've not seen it cost anything except the cost to register the brand and a few skent knees. If your state registers brands you will have to apply for use of your brand and where you will place it on the animal, there is usually a fee for that, but as far as getting docked for it at sale time, I haven't seen that in my area.
some states do not allow freeze brand as proof of ownership
only hot iron brands

robdogtn":2bhxruo0 said:
Am I correct is saying that freeze branding will not cause a deduct due to hide damage?
I don't know if you are talking about a deduct from a hide buyer after slaughter or a deduct when you sell a cow that has been hot branded either way I don't think it matters.
My days working on kill floor the hide buyer never even looked to see it it had a brand.and I have seen lots of cattle go through sale barns and never could tell that it mattered if a cow had a brand or not.

hoss_ross":2bhxruo0 said:
Freeze branding does not damage hides. It kills the pigment-producing cells in the follicle causing white hair to come back, or in light colored cattle no hair. I haven't seen it cause anyone to be discounted when it comes sale time.
I never used my freeze brand on cattle but use to freeze brand all of our coon dogs and thought if it was held on for to long that it would scar the hide a lot like a hot iron even on a colored hide if held on to long the hair will not grow back in and look alot like a hot brand
???? I may be wrong about this ????

In CA freeze branding cattle is not a valid form of identification. It is on horses but not cattle.
Don't know about your other states just what we can due here.
Double R

BRYANT":1mioiait said:
thought if it was held on for to long that it would scar the hide a lot like a hot iron even on a colored hide if held on to long the hair will not grow back in and look alot like a hot brand
???? I may be wrong about this ????
No you are not wrong about thsi if the iron is left on too long it will kill the hair folicles and it will look like a hot iron
on grey horses you leave the iron on longer and you end up with a brand that looks like a hot iron brand
the darker the hair the less time an iron has to be applied (on horses anyway)

Freeze brands on Holsteins is a real pain. On the white part the only way you can read the brand is by feel since the hair feels different in the branded area.

dun":4syv07dq said:
Freeze brands on Holsteins is a real pain. On the white part the only way you can read the brand is by feel since the hair feels different in the branded area.

Is that the only real pain with Holsteins? :cowboy:

Idaman":nipajr4v said:
dun":nipajr4v said:

Is that the only real pain with Holsteins? :cowboy:
When it comes to freeze branding it is!

Angus Cowman":l8lzcmcv said:
dun":l8lzcmcv said:
wrong if you leave the brand on for a longer period of time the hair won't come back and it will look like a hot iron brand
Correct, IF YOU DO WRONG

dun":2y6brfo6 said:
Angus Cowman":2y6brfo6 said:
dun":2y6brfo6 said:
wrong if you leave the brand on for a longer period of time the hair won't come back and it will look like a hot iron brand
Correct, IF YOU DO WRONG
On a class given by a vet several yrs ago he demonstrated how to freeze brand white colored cows and horses the freeze time was longer and the results came back looking like a hot iron brand with no hair

Thanks, you guys always have the most input for what works for everyone and different views and ideas from different parts of the country. Thank you very much it is truly appreciated by me and other newbies as well. :tiphat: