Freeze Branding

Help Support CattleToday:

Brahman cattle have to be hot branded in order to be registered with ABBA. A stupid "rule" in my opinion, but then, ABBA didn't ask me for my opinion. 8)

TheBullLady":2uazhdvl said:
Brahman cattle have to be hot branded in order to be registered with ABBA. A stupid "rule" in my opinion, but then, ABBA didn't ask me for my opinion. 8)

So if for some dumb reason, I have reg brahman in Ohio,(Ohio is not a brand state) I still have to brand my Brahman?

TheBullLady":3c9yhzc8 said:

That's the breed association I alluded to. But don't beefmasters have to be branded also? The few I've seen have been, that's why I ask.

dun

in my meats class at A&M my teachers have told us us that branding should be done on the hips, say it affects the carcass less if it is on the hip than the side.

Ryan":1ec3lslp said:
in my meats class at A&M my teachers have told us us that branding should be done on the hips, say it affects the carcass less if it is on the hip than the side.

That's all well and good, but if that location is already taken for what you want to use or something that is very similar, you've got to use another location. Ours was the left shoulder with no ear notches. That wasn't my first choice, but that was the only location that was left available.

dun

We currently Tattoo our registered cattle but not the commercial cattle. I am planning to send some cattle to the ranch to rail program and they require a brand. I have used the fire branders and the electric branders on family and friends cattle in the past. I'm not too fond of the fire branders, the electric branders are nice but I don't have electricity at the lease. I do have access to an extra nitrogen tank, dark cattle, and battery operated shears. Nobody else is using the brand that I want to use so I can brand where ever I want and was looking for the best location. It sounds like it doesn't matter too much so I will probably go with the left hip.

Thanks
Tod

txshowmom":3l2pytqh said:
Dun
What is on all the other locations?

The usual six locations are left shoulder, hip, rib and right shoulder, hip and rib

dun

Ours was the left shoulder with no ear notches. That wasn't my first choice, but that was the only location that was left available.

I know what the locations are I was just wondering why you couln't use your 1st choice. What was on that location that you coyuldn't use i?

txshowmom":zzqkqmva said:
Ours was the left shoulder with no ear notches. That wasn't my first choice, but that was the only location that was left available.

I know what the locations are I was just wondering why you couln't use your 1st choice. What was on that location that you coyuldn't use i?

The other locations were in use by other similar brands. Personally I hate the rib brands, prefer hip or shoulder. And after branding a lot of calves in both locations I think I actually prefer the shoulder. It's easier to manually restrain the front leg for branding.

dun

Tod,

We brand our ranch brand on the top right hip and the animal ID number (My numbering system, usually 3 digits - 1st = last number of birth year - 2nd and 3rd are dam number; example heifer 423 would be born in 2004 to cow number 23) on the lower right leg.

I am working from memory here but I believe you can register a brand on the hip, lower back leg, side, shoulder, and lower front leg on either sid eof the animal. The hip is the least obtrusive place with the least hide damage. I think the only thing you would be docked at the sale barn for would be a really big side brand.

We brand our ranch brand on the top right hip and the animal ID number (My numbering system, usually 3 digits - 1st = last number of birth year - 2nd and 3rd are dam number; example heifer 423 would be born in 2004 to cow number 23) on the lower right leg.

We use the left leg but our system is very very similar.

dun":20jbyxpw said:
txshowmom":20jbyxpw said:
Dun

The usual six locations are left shoulder, hip, rib and right shoulder, hip and rib

dun

And then on horses you can have the neck and jaw brand. You were talking about rib brands-- I've seen some that when put on as a calf with a 6" iron you could read a quarter mile away by the time the calf grows out. Sure easy to find in a big pasture.

There was a big push a few years ago by some feedlots and packers (especially Future Beef) to give bonus for no brands and/or corner brands-- Like $10 per head extra for no brands, $5 for shoulder and hip brand and none for rib brands.

Oldtimer":231pwnt2 said:
dun":231pwnt2 said:
txshowmom":231pwnt2 said:
Dun

dun
I've seen some that when put on as a calf with a 6" iron you could read a quarter mile away by the time the calf grows out. Sure easy to find in a big pasture.

There was a big push a few years ago by some feedlots and packers (especially Future Beef) to give bonus for no brands and/or corner brands-- Like $10 per head extra for no brands, $5 for shoulder and hip brand and none for rib brands.

I've got 3 cows like that, you have to look twice to see the whole brand

dun

On the subject of brands - I recently made a branding iron for the ranch and was wondering what size material everyone else uses for their branding irons. This is the first one I've actually built myself. I made it from 2" x 3/8" flat iron. The brand is around 3" tall . It looks pretty good on wood, but I haven't put it on an animal yet, and was wondering if I should have went with a 1/4" wide face instead of 3/8". Everyone I've showed it to said "Man, that's a heavy brand!". The brand is registered through the county, on the left hip.

sidney411":21uoidg3 said:
Tod,

I am working from memory here but I believe you can register a brand on the hip, lower back leg, side, shoulder, and lower front leg on either sid eof the animal. The hip is the least obtrusive place with the least hide damage. I think the only thing you would be docked at the sale barn for would be a really big side brand.

Does the animal ID have to be adjacent to the ranch brand legally or can they be in two different places?

TXBobcat":qikwvw0w said:
On the subject of brands - I recently made a branding iron for the ranch and was wondering what size material everyone else uses for their branding irons. This is the first one I've actually built myself. I made it from 2" x 3/8" flat iron. The brand is around 3" tall . It looks pretty good on wood, but I haven't put it on an animal yet, and was wondering if I should have went with a 1/4" wide face instead of 3/8". Everyone I've showed it to said "Man, that's a heavy brand!". The brand is registered through the county, on the left hip.

3/8 sounds awfully heavy to me. Did you put vents in the face if you have crossed lines?

dun

dun":th2irje8 said:
TXBobcat":th2irje8 said:

3/8 sounds awfully heavy to me. Did you put vents in the face if you have crossed lines?

dun

Yes, I ground a 1/4" or so notch at each intersection of the letters/design. The brand is rocking VAN

I think I going to build another one out of 2" x 1/4" material.

Latest posts