Freeze branding

Help Support CattleToday:

htrc

Reaction score
I have been considering freeze branding my cattle on the left front shoulder. I sell bulls and females as breeding stock and show prospects. I would use this as a marketing tool for my operation.I talked with a fellow that does custom freeze branding and he told me that he hadn't had very good results with cattle,excellent results with horses.Said that the best results were acheived when the iron was left on the hide for a extended period. Has anyone had experience with freeze branding black and/or red cattle? Good or bad results?
Thanks

I do not use branding. However, I have been told that Gardiner Angus in Asland KS has the best protocol for freeze branding. They used to have it on their website. Noticed that they do not any longer but if you email they will probably email you the info or tell you where to find it. They brand thousands of head every year. They oughta know.

Bear in mind that the brand and the location have to be approved before you start branding

What I want is something that jumps out at you. I have seen some black cattle with a one letter freeze brand on them,you do notice that white letter standing out. I am just not sure it would be practical if I used the 3 letter design I would want to use as product recognition.I've seen some good hot brands on blk cattle,but they just don't pop out the way I'm looking for.
My cattle have tattoos for registration,so it's not a individual I.D. issue. Product recognition is my main goal.

htrc,
the freezing kills the pigment in the skin so the color of the hair is gone. This means that it will "jump" out on a black cow, it will stand out on a red cow, the darker red the better. The only problem is, it is almost imposible to see on a white cow. I have the freeze brand on red and white cows, and if you stand at the right angle you can make out the brand on the white, so it will work for idendtification, but that is about it.
The hair needs to be buzzed off, and the brand needs to be held on a while longer. After that it is less trama on the cow, but a lot more trama on your pocketbook.
Good luck
D.R.

htrc":16flcff0 said:
I have been considering freeze branding my cattle on the left front shoulder. I sell bulls and females as breeding stock and show prospects. I would use this as a marketing tool for my operation.I talked with a fellow that does custom freeze branding and he told me that he hadn't had very good results with cattle,excellent results with horses.Said that the best results were acheived when the iron was left on the hide for a extended period. Has anyone had experience with freeze branding black and/or red cattle? Good or bad results?
Thanks

We freeze brand alll of our cattle( they are black angus and commerical) and the brands come out just fine. We use 99% alcholl sp?. and hold the brand to the skin for 45 seconds..

By looking at Angus show cattle. My assumtion is that the approved location would be the shoulder on the "non" show side.

I froze branded the heifers I kept for replacements this year with their ID number. I used 99% alcohol and liquid nitrogen. I clipped a few clear to the skin and on others I left a bit more hair to see what works best. On the blacks I held it for 30 seconds and I had a red one that I did for 45 seconds.

The branded area is just starting to peel and I did this about 5 weeks ago. I'll have to wait a few more months to see if it really worked.

From what I have heard on the Gardiner program, they would do not clip clear to the skin and leave the iron on for around 50 seconds.

We freeze branded our angus replacement heifers for the first time last year. We learned that you have to clip the hair clear down to the skin, keep the skin saturated with alcohol, and leave the iron on longer. The research suggested 24 seconds, but that wasn't nearly long enough - we're trying 30-40 seconds this year. The brands turned our okay last year, but we learned that we need to leave the brand on longer. We'll definately keep freeze branding the heifers - it beats losing ear tags all the time.