Freeze Branding ?

Help Support CattleToday:

tnfarmboy67

Reaction score
I'm wanting to start freeze branding my Angus and was wondering what size branding iron to get 3", 3 1/2", or 4" ? Also which face 3/8" or 9/16" face?

FiresweepRanch might have some good info on that, they freeze brand.
As for the size, the smaller the animal the smaller the brand usually, so probably a 3" for small calves, 3 1/2 for big ones, and 4" for adult animals

I'd get a 4"and wait till they were sure nuff keepers. 9/16 is better IMHO. Hot better than freeze to IMHO.

Simple to apply
Nothing needed but a fire
Always readable, even in winter
Cheaper
Works on any coat color
Hold the iron in place considerably less time
If you've got several to do, you'll appreciate the speed and simplicity
Dye can't cover it up
Personal preference here------I like the old ways better.

I have never used a freeze brand on cattle , but I do have one that I have used on a lot hounds when I was running coon dogs and deer dogs. I agree with Bigfoot on the freeze branding for me it is a lot harder than fire branding. On the hounds you had to hold it on them for several seconds and some it looked good and other it looked bad it depends a lot on thickness of skin and my "B" most always looked bad.
If I was going to freeze brand than I would talk with someone who has done it like FiresweepRanch theirs look nice, but I'll bet they didn't learn how to make them look that good with out doing a few.

The less closed letters or numbers the better the brand , freeze or fire.
A,B,D,O,P,Q,R,6,8,9,0 these will all blob a lot faster than open letters

I'll disagree with you Bigfoot on being able to see the burn brand year round. We have a few in our herd we have bought, and you can not see the brands in the winter, and in the summer it is hard to distinguish. We are still not sure what one of them is, other than it covers her entire rib area and looks like an S with an arrow going through it at an angle!
You hopefully brand an animal once in it's lifetime, and for us it is a perminant way to identify what is ours. So we have no problem spending a few extra minutes branding with a freeze brand. If we used liquid nitrogen, it would be a lot quicker, but it is more work to get the nitrogen then the dry ice and alcohol. We did 6 head of cattle Monday, it took us longer to get the cattle in and ready to go then it did to actually brand. About 10 seconds to clip the site, 50 seconds with the brand on the skin, then off they go.
We did our first few at the vet clinic with the vet; he had never seen freeze branding and wanted to learn with us. That took us a little longer, and with time, we have perfected it as close as possible. It is not hard, and readable all year. Of course, It would not work on white hided cattle but we raise black and red so it does not matter. I am happy to say that since we helped with the extension field day on branding a few years ago, we have seen a lot more cattle walking fields with a freeze brand. We live in the number one county in the state for number of cow calf pairs, and theft is a big problem. People are making their cattle less desirable to thieves by putting a white brand on them.

I forgot to mention about size. The size really depends on what age you are branding. The hide grows with the animal, so a big brand on a little calf will only get bigger. If you are branding with numbers and letters for ID purposes, you can change the size to the age. With our brand, it is one size. Because of the brand design, we can not get it any smaller (hindsight, pick your ranch brand wisely!). So we wait until they are about 8 months old to brand. Seems to work best for the size we are working with (about 6 or 8 inches).

I have a set of cows I bought as heifers. Bought them in November, didn't know they were branded till the next summer. That was 08 and it's still the same way. Can't see it till summer. Big letters on the ribs too. Fire brand. Show good in the summer.

A question for Fire Sweep Ranch can you hold a freeze brand on a white cow for a longer time and get a brand where the hair will not grow would look more like a fire brand without the scar. I know you can on dogs but not sure about cattle. We always used nitrogen but the hardest thing we had was getting an even freeze.

BRYANT":3u7rgtup said:
A question for Fire Sweep Ranch can you hold a freeze brand on a white cow for a longer time and get a brand where the hair will not grow would look more like a fire brand without the scar. I know you can on dogs but not sure about cattle. We always used nitrogen but the hardest thing we had was getting an even freeze.

In my experience, No. We have used a freeze brand on our stock for almost 30 years now. We started when we ran a band of 50 Appaloosa brood mares and a herd of grey Brahmas on pastures up to an hour from the home farm. They took well and were easy to do. Only problem we ever had was with a brand on a nearly leopard coat mare we had, so we had to move hers just a couple inches to find a nice big spot to put it on. My father, who prefers to live like an 1800s cowboy, has switched to fire brands simply because he ropes and stretches the calves to be cut and vaccinated during fall round up, and a tank of LN is just not feasible in that situation.

I like the freeze brand because we always have plenty of LN around and its easy to do. The stock barely flinches when its applied, and we don't have to worry about flies bothering them. Spraying a layer of windex on the site after clipping it off, and before applying the brand will help to ensure an even freeze. We also rock the brand just slightly top to bottom and left to right about half way through the freeze. Plenty of pressure on the brand helps too.

And yes, I did say we had Brahmas in NW WI. For most of my childhood in fact. They made you real handy on a horse real quick! Those old hags also taught my family the virtue of a good cattle dog!!! :cboy:

I also have a freeze brand , and yes if you hold it on longer on a light coat it will look like a hot brand
I had my vet do mine , and he put it on for 10 to 15 seconds then put it back in the nitrogen and put it on again for 5 to 10 seconds do not remember , it killed the hair follicles when left on longer so had no hair on them
Suzanne
mine is a 3" brand used on yearlings and adults

tnfarmboy67":3sd4n6z0 said:
I'm wanting to start freeze branding my Angus and was wondering what size branding iron to get 3", 3 1/2", or 4" ? Also which face 3/8" or 9/16" face?

Where bouts are you located, im in Bedford County near Shelbyville, TN.

midTN_Brangusman":yeemr7u5 said:
tnfarmboy67":yeemr7u5 said:

Where bouts are you located, im in Bedford County near Shelbyville, TN.

I'm in Hardin county near Savannah.

Latest posts