Freeze Branding Horses

Help Support CattleToday:

ArrowHBrand

Reaction score
I would like to start freeze branding our horses we raise for ranch stock. I am familiar with the procedure, but how do the horses take it? What is the best way to do it, hold them down or put them in stocks?

I work at a standardbred breeding farm. We have a man that comes in and freeze brands the new foals. For standardbreds, the tattoo is on the right side of the neck at the top. I have only heard one foal that made any type of noise and I honestly think it was because she was mad that we were holding her still. :p

I found a web site for an outfit in Texas that does custom horse freeze branding. It was a couple years ago and I was looking for tips on improving technique in branding my cattle.

Anyhow it was a good site with a lot of info but I sure can't remember the name.

Will try tio see if I can dig it up.

MY wife and own our own brand that is on the left hip, but the reaction is what I was wondering about. If that one foal only made a little noise from being restrained, that's good news. Cattle are just bulldogged and branded, but I figured horses should be handled a bit differently. Thanks for your help!

I freeze brand my cattle every spring. We fall calve and I freeze brand the replacement heifers and the bulls kept for development and sale.

I do them in a headchute and squeeze chute. They still jump around some at about five to ten seconds then it goes numb and they stand.

I have never freeze branded a horse but would think the reaction would be the same. I think some folks sedate them.

I use a little bit of "Ace" on the horses just so that they stand still enough not to blotch the brand. I have freeze branded all of my horses and have yet to have any squeal, snort, etc. The brand will swell slightly but the horses are not sore nor do they indicate that it bothers them in any way.

We freeze brand our horses.
All we have had to do is put them between a fence and a gate or in stocks and brand them standing.
The worst reaction we recieved was a nip from on mare. They tend to stand and take it quite well. Most reaction is due to the noise of the clippers if your horse is not use to clippers.

Here is the worlds ugliest freeze brand.........put on my paint by the guy who trick trained him, before I bought him.

horses6.jpg

Hipy,
Was he branded as a young horse? The reason I ask is that my husband is asked to brand yearlings and he won't do it because the brand grows with the horse and you end up with an enormous brand.

A lot of people don't believe him.

I don't know, I bought him as a 3 yr. old, don't think they had him for more than a year...........now I DO know my tattoos have "gotten larger" as I have aged :lol: :lol:

If the brands get bigger as the horse ages, then old how would I need to brand them and how big of a brand should I be looking to get?

Probably...not more than a 3 inch...but check with Deb Metcalfe. She also has the microchips that you can put in yourself. http://www.netposse.com/

If your horse is stolen...You can post on her site....Stolen Horse International/Net Posse....and you will have thousands of eyes out there looking for your horse....go check it out.

No...I'm not stumping for her to get her business. This is the lady who's horse was stolen...and she figured she would help others by starting this website. Anyone who owns horses should be aware of this site.