freeze branding for ID

Help Support CattleToday:

Dana Kopp

Reaction score
How many of you freeze brand for ID purposes (not ownership)? Either in addition to or instead of ear tags? I see the huge registered herds do it. We have tossed the idea around for a couple years, we work our cattle mostly on horseback and it would be nice to be able to see who you are looking at from another angle than their face. Also I figured that the freeze brand would show up in a flashlight or field glasses better than the eartags when checking at calving time. The cows are black and red Angus so I know a freeze brand would show up nicely up on the top of their hip.

Has anyone had experience with the Nasco Stencil letters?

http://www.enasco.com/farmandranch/Brow ... kIndex=227

It works good on dark colored cattle, obviously not so good on gray or blond haired!

We have to hot brand on the registered Brahmans. Some breed associations don't recognize freeze branding.

I've used the freeze brands, but not the stencil type. It works great as long as you take your time and do it right. You need a good handling system. You have to shave the area, put some alcohol on it, and then hold the brand in place for at least 30 seconds.

One of our large breeders freeze brands for farm ID. I know it took them a few years to perfect it. You have to REALLY be able to hold them STILL and you have to hold it on LONGER than what is recommended.

As you can see it works well
000_0029.jpg

This is done using Freeze Branding Irons with Alcohol and dry Ice you NEED to shave the hair VERY short soak the area with alcohol and hold Irons on for 45 seconds in cold weather.In hot weather I hold them for 1 min 15 seconds thats what we did when we did this heifer.

This would only be for ID - we already hot brand all our cattle for ownership. We freeze brand our horses (for ownership) so we are familiar with the process using the actual little branding irons but wasn't sure how well the stencils would work. Thanks for your thoughts!

Latest posts