freemartins

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

A friend of mine's angus heifer birthed freemartin twins (male and female set) Will both the female and the male be sterile, or is it just the female that is likely to suffer this? Anyone know why freemartins do this?

[email protected]

Max; There are some pretty good discussions on the Health and Nutrition page of this site concerning Freemartins. Look for them posted by "Dale" on 12 and 13 March, 2001. Also, look for a posting on the "beginners board" for "genes" posted about 29, Jan. 2001. The response by "Jason" is probably the best I have read on the subject of freemartins. There is another extrensive article in my files but I don't have the site handy. I will be glad to look it up if you want, just drop me an e-mail and I'll get right back to you. Good Luck,

Mack

> A friend of mine's angus heifer
> birthed freemartin twins (male and
> female set) Will both the female
> and the male be sterile, or is it
> just the female that is likely to
> suffer this? Anyone know why
> freemartins do this?

[email protected]

> A friend of mine's angus heifer
> birthed freemartin twins (male and
> female set) Will both the female
> and the male be sterile, or is it
> just the female that is likely to
> suffer this? Anyone know why
> freemartins do this?

The Male will not be sterile. He will probably always be smaller than single born calves. As for the female she is more than likely sterile. A good vet can check her but not until she is 10-12 months. Did they have separate placentas? If they did their is a chance that the heifer might be able to produce. I have lots of expirience with freemartins. best of luck to ya

[email protected]

Latest posts