Free leasing show heifers ?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have some nice Reg. Black Angus heifers. I have a neighbor who wants to
free lease a couple for showing but he wants me to pay for all of the feed, he would halter break pay all showing costs.
Would anyone who has done a free lease situation tell me if this is normal etc.
He also wants Reg. papers in their names . I think me paying for all of the feed is a bit much, am I wrong?
How is this normally done? Thanks

I have heard that all that is done occassionally except the part about you paying for the feed.

Usually when a breeder "gives" a heifer to a kid for showing they have a separate agreement that breeder gets the heifer back at the end of the showing career or if she is sold the breeder get some or all the profit.

ArabianFancy":3kddtiru said:
I have some nice Reg. Black Angus heifers. I have a neighbor who wants to
free lease a couple for showing but he wants me to pay for all of the feed, he would halter break pay all showing costs.
Would anyone who has done a free lease situation tell me if this is normal etc.
He also wants Reg. papers in their names . I think me paying for all of the feed is a bit much, am I wrong?
How is this normally done? Thanks

If neighbor takes possession of animals he/she should pay for all care costs! The showing activity is primarily to benefit the neighbor, not you, UNLESS she won a significant award and you got the heifer back. I wouldn't turn over any papers unless you were compensated for heifer. Sounds like the neighbor wants a freebie for a free ride. Finally, what do you "owe" the neighbor for such a deal? If you do make a deal, get it in writing and specify who gets what and who pays for what. Unless you are doing this to promote your breeding program (with a tax write-off)...well, the neighbor...form your own opinion....

I'd let him lease one only if they pay for the feed / expenses of showing. They aren't realizing how much you're saving them.. they don't have to purchase a heifer.

We routinely "give" heifers to juniors.. if they have scramble certificates, we'll give them the $$ back for feed. The heifer has to be in the juniors name.. but you'd better have something in writing saying they give the heifer back to you after a certain period of time! Otherwise, who's to say they didn't pay you for her?

We are just getting our Angus program started and would like to have some stock out there showing etc. I told my husband that they were crazy. They told him " that is how it is done around here" . The same group wants my best weaning bull and cut him, to show in steers but " can't afford him right now will pay you when we sell him as a steer after show season " ( he is worth how much to me then as bull???) yeah right. :roll:

I just wanted to be able to say that I had done some research and " that is NOT the way it is done"
They were just wanting to show local 4-H and qualify for "County Bred" bonuses.
I don't mind the kids showing and think it is great but these guys are the parents of the kids , not the kids looking for cattle to show. They have apparently done this for several years for another breeder in the area.

Thanks for the input. I am selling yearling aged bulls frequently now with only "word of mouth" advertising.

What are you getting for weaning aged show stock like this? Straight off the cow?
I am in the DEEP South so things may be different around here compared to other places.
Thanks!!
GinaD
Dupree Angus
and
http://www.ArabianFancy.com

ArabianFancy":w91l8lp3 said:
We are just getting our Angus program started and would like to have some stock out there showing etc. I told my husband that they were crazy. They told him " that is how it is done around here" . The same group wants my best weaning bull and cut him, to show in steers but " can't afford him right now will pay you when we sell him as a steer after show season " ( he is worth how much to me then as bull???) yeah right. :roll:

I just wanted to be able to say that I had done some research and " that is NOT the way it is done"
They were just wanting to show local 4-H and qualify for "County Bred" bonuses.
I don't mind the kids showing and think it is great but these guys are the parents of the kids , not the kids looking for cattle to show. They have apparently done this for several years for another breeder in the area.

Thanks for the input. I am selling yearling aged bulls frequently now with only "word of mouth" advertising.

What are you getting for weaning aged show stock like this? Straight off the cow?
I am in the DEEP South so things may be different around here compared to other places.
Thanks!!
GinaD
Dupree Angus
and
http://www.ArabianFancy.com

1200 TO 1500 ON THE HEIFERS

Thanks!!

I pretty much agree with Campgrounds prices

$1200.00 to $1500.00 per head.

Howdy,

We have been on both sides of the issue. My sister showd Gelbvieh heifers for about three years and never owned any of them. We were able to pick the ones we wanted and showed them until they were to old or did not place high enough for us to mess with. The heifers would of have cost us about $3,000 - $5,000 a piece we were to buy them. We usually had two to three at any one time during the year. She was chancing the TCCA breed buckle for all of those years also. To us this made good economic since we woud have to feed the heifers anyway and care for them. This way we did not have $10,000 to $15,000 tied up in cattle. Also this way if one died or did not show well we were not out any money.

We also let kids show our heifers if:
one; they do not have the upfront money to purchase the heifer.

two; they do not know if they want to this type of project for more than one year.

three; if the parents think that their kid will not show more than one year.

four; if they are scramble kids and they know that they will not show again then we make arrangments to give the money back.

This year we let two different families show our cattle with mixed results.
One family had only a small shed for the heifer to get under and was in the mudd most of the time and the other didn't have build a barn until almost at the end of the showing season. This will probably be the last time we do that, unless they have a proven track record. Any questions or comments just e-mail me.

Thanks,

Matt Schiel
Bar M Ranch

Typically, where we live anyway, a breeder will "give" a junior a heifer and it is the juniors responcibility to feed and care for the heifer. ALL of the expences involved are the responcibility of the junior. At the end of her show career the heifer goes back to the breeder and they let the junior keep the first calf out of that heifer. This benifits both the junior and the breeder. Most people don't realize the amount of work the goes into showing and caring for heifers. In Texas we can show these animals every weekend of the year so its not like the kid will be showing it at the couny show and that it. By the end of her show careen the junior can have at least 3000-5000 worth of expences if they are showing hard. By getting the first calf the junior is rewarded for all the expence and work they put into the heifer. The breeder on the other hand, has a full grown cow that has been cared for and fed out much better that it would have been if it were in the pasture. Also, if the calf wins everybody wants to know "where did you get your heifer". The proof is in the pudding, you get you cattle out there and prove them in the show ring and you WILL sell more cattle. With that being said, I would never encourage anyone to enter into this type of arrangment with someone just starting out, or someone they don't know. This works both ways because if you give someone a good calf and they don't take care of it or arn't good on the stick, then you will get the reputation for now having good cattle. Hope this helps.

We sell registered heifers to juniors for $850, and steers for $650. We sold three years ago that was Reserve Champion ABC at Houston and brought $40,000 at the auction.

Do show heifiers/steers have to be registered with a breed association before they can be shown in Texas county shows, or shows such as Houston, Ft. Worth, etc?

I'm sorry.. we sold our last steer calf two weeks ago.

And to answer the other question, steers do not have to be registered to be shown at the "Big Three".. Ft. Worth, San Antonio, or Houston

Latest posts