Free College........

Help Support CattleToday:

BAD!!!!! College is much more appreciated when earned and there are plenty of programs out there for those that want it. Plenty of those that have come from nothing and made something.

If it is to be paid for it needs to be a reimbursement program for a completed diploma with a C or above average.

Grades, conduct, overall citizenship.
Nice to see you didn't include 'need' in those parameters.

We wouldn't want 'those' folks educated on the taxpayer dime now would we?

I'm all for free or partially subsidized college, but just for the education part.
They can fund their own grub, transportation, and sleeping/living arrangements.

Nice to see you didn't include 'need' in those parameters.

We wouldn't want 'those' folks educated on the taxpayer dime now would we?

I'm all for free or partially subsidized college, but just for the education part.
They can fund their own grub, transportation, and sleeping/living arrangements.
You are correct, I did not include need as one of my qualifiers. It's based on your grades and recommendation of your high school principal or guidance counselor. Everyone should be treated equally and fairly.

Don't see how all this "free" stuff is going to work out for our country. Tax the folks that are making good money, print more money, or borrow money cause the U.S doesn't have the money for these spending programs. If we had a balanced budget it would be different, but we don't have a balanced budget, far from it.

The interest on the U.S. debt for this fiscal year is $378 billion on around $27 trillion debt and the government is adding more programs and more debt? Very few in congress even seem concerned about the financial situation our country is in. Don't see how this is going to end well.

Of all the waste I have seen so far the Community College thing IMO is not to bad. They do have some good programs and expense is not near what universities and private colleges are. Most students commute also.

If they get free community college, they need at least a C grade to continue with scholarship and when they graduate they get a job with no opportunity for any govt. subsidies for the same time they were attending classes.

At our local community college their forestry tech program requires them to do an internship with us or some other forestry job. At first it was good and most graduates were offered a job. The last few I did were just going to school so they could get a check. They were paying them to go plus paying for the school. None of them had any intention of ever working. I quit accepting them as interns.

At our local community college their forestry tech program requires them to do an internship with us or some other forestry job. At first it was good and most graduates were offered a job. The last few I did were just going to school so they could get a check. They were paying them to go plus paying for the school. None of them had any intention of ever working. I quit accepting them as interns.
This is one of the reasons I stipulated payment would only be for the education part. 'books, tuition etc'.

Too many under college loans were 100% living off the funds and the fact they were going to class a few days a week was secondary. Nursing schools around here are/were legendary for finding prospective students the govt programs to do this, and few ever actually graduated the 2 year program with certification.
"collegiate welfare kings & queens"

The only upside to that was that the students were supposed to repay the loans. Many did not.

This is one of the reasons I stipulated payment would only be for the education part. 'books, tuition etc'.

Too many under college loans were 100% living off the funds and the fact they were going to class a few days a week was secondary. Nursing schools around here are/were legendary for finding prospective students the govt programs to do this, and few ever actually graduated the 2 year program with certification.
"collegiate welfare kings & queens"

The only upside to that was that the students were supposed to repay the loans. Many did not.

This government will forgive those also. Bernie is one happy guy.

Free Free, Free...............................................................................................

Last edited:
If they get free community college, they need at least a C grade to continue with scholarship and when they graduate they get a job with no opportunity for any govt. subsidies for the same time they were attending classes.

Those rules are already in place for the Federal Pell Grant and other financial aid. Need to maintain a minimum 2.5 GPA (per semester, not cumulative), and meet the attendance requirements.

The Pell is all based on the parents income. The more they make, the less grant money you're eligible for. IIRC the cutoff is 50k, not even a modest living.

I don't think college should be free, but it should be more affordable. The days of working part time to put yourself through school are long gone. If you had a good enough job to pay for tuition out of pocket, you wouldn't need to be in college.

A reliable and good paying job aren't the only reason's for attending college.
Gaining knowledge, whether for it's own intrinsic or intangible value has always been an honorable goal.

I have an idea. How about we actually teach them more in K-12? A high school graduation use to mean something.
I don't think college should be free, but it should be more affordable. The days of working part time to put yourself through school are long gone. If you had a good enough job to pay for tuition out of pocket, you wouldn't need to be in college.
Back when I first went to college tuition at a CC was $73 for a quarter. That was the fall of '69 so it has been a while. When I broke my back in '93 I went back to school at a CC. Tuition was about $400 a quarter. Still affordable. What is it now?

I have an idea. How about we actually teach them more in K-12? A high school graduation use to mean something.

Back when I first went to college tuition at a CC was $73 for a quarter. That was the fall of '69 so it has been a while. When I broke my back in '93 I went back to school at a CC. Tuition was about $400 a quarter. Still affordable. What is it now?

Anywhere from $200-1000 per credit hour. Full time is usually 11 hours minimum, 18 maximum per semester. Plus their money grab fees that add up quite a bit. Per year you're looking at $5000+ for full time, just for tuition.

The engineering classes I was taking at a local state university were very near $500 a credit hour.

Latest posts