Free Choice Corn Silage?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
I am trying to supplement fall grass with purchased corn silage in an SI arrow front feeder wagon:

I started putting out a few pounds per head but then the dominate animals get it all (No, I don't have enough wagons).
I am concerned that if I load up the wagon - - then the dominate animals will get their fill, and perhaps overeat, before backing off and letting in the stragglers.

Can you have a beef animal overeat enough corn silage to cause some health problem?

I feed corn silage all winter,I dont think I ever had one over eat and they always have silage left from one feeding to the next.

i agree i dont think ive ever heard of a cow overeating corn silage.most stock cows will eat 15 to 20lbs of silage a day.

Stocker Steve":aups65ab said:
I am trying to supplement fall grass with purchased corn silage in an SI arrow front feeder wagon:

I started putting out a few pounds per head but then the dominate animals get it all (No, I don't have enough wagons).
I am concerned that if I load up the wagon - - then the dominate animals will get their fill, and perhaps overeat, before backing off and letting in the stragglers.

Can you have a beef animal overeat enough corn silage to cause some health problem?

They'll often eat more than they really need and start getting fat sometimes but I've never seen any harm otherwise. If you see them getting overconditioned I'd just cut back some.

Agree with the others that overeating shouldn't be a problem. If you worried about the cows competing would there be some way to get the feed spread out a bit? Maybe try another feeder or two or just put the silage in a windrow on the ground so all the cows can get to it. I'm curious what you had to pay for the silage. I'm trying to put a value on the silage I put up just for my cost figures.

I am not disagreeing, because I don't know enough to argue, but I don't understand why a free choice of a fermented high moisture grain would NOT cause a problem. I know that over time the cattle will adjust their intake and not gorge, but, at first, couldn't that be dangerous?

angie":30lacp1t said:
I am not disagreeing, because I don't know enough to argue, but I don't understand why a free choice of a fermented high moisture grain would NOT cause a problem. I know that over time the cattle will adjust their intake and not gorge, but, at first, couldn't that be dangerous?
Silage is not HM grain. There is a lot of plant material mixed with the grain. It is fairly bulky with a good amount of fiber to it. Many dairy producers use silage for a good majority of the roughage in their rations. In fact I've heard silage is the only roughage for some.

angie":261x1mrz said:

Angie, the corn will only make up about 20% +/- a little of the total silage intake, the remainder being the cobs, shucks, leaves and stalk which are all considered roughage so you still have a very good ratio of grain: roughage when feeding silage. Good silage will run 32-36% dry matter so if they eat 50 lbs. per head per day they will still only have 19-20 lbs. of dry matter and 3.5--4 lbs. of that would be corn, all very digestible with adequate energy and not overly high in protein.

On the negative side I've heard that some dairies have as much as $70-75 per ton in the silage especially if they have to pay to have it hauled very far.

novaman":1odxy7nz said:
I'm trying to put a value on the silage I put up just for my cost figures.
7 to 1 will catch alot of the hybrids. Some of the newer hybrids that are bred for less residue for corn on corn applications may approach 8 to 1, but I would use 7 to 1 for fairness. Call the local elevator and get the cash corn price and go from there.

I feed corn silage for the past 3 years, I like it, easy to feed, saves hay. I quit this year because, in a feeder wagon, you can't control what they eat. Some cows overeat, and get very fat.

angie":2rpw5nay said:

Angie, corn silage is made out of chopped corn and usually includes the stalks and leaves - not just the ears. While I don't believe I would be feeding it free choice, mainly because of the cost factor in my area, it shouldn't cause too many problems except maybe excessive weight gain.

Angus Cowman":2w5pnkmk said:
novaman":2w5pnkmk said:
I'm trying to put a value on the silage I put up just for my cost figures.

A custom chopper around here has some for sale for $50 per ton don't know if that is cheaper or high
Using the local prices that would be a 100% markup from the actual value per ton here.

Just re-read the "title" of the posts "Free Choice Corn Silage". To me that means an "all you can eat buffet". I've never fed corn silage to beef cattle but have fed it to dairy cattle at 40-45 lbs. per head per day mixed with the other feed ingredients to make a TMR. With dairy you always want a small amount of refusal or "left overs" to insure that they are getting all the feed they want, yet it is not "free choice". With the beef cattle just determine how much you want them to have and feed that much.

TexasBred":308ur142 said:
Just re-read the "title" of the posts "Free Choice Corn Silage". To me that means an "all you can eat buffet". I've never fed corn silage to beef cattle but have fed it to dairy cattle at 40-45 lbs. per head per day mixed with the other feed ingredients to make a TMR. With dairy you always want a small amount of refusal or "left overs" to insure that they are getting all the feed they want, yet it is not "free choice". With the beef cattle just determine how much you want them to have and feed that much.
I agree with you on not going free choice with beef cattle. I think the problem is the bossier cows getting more than their share and the others getting shorted. I believe this is why he wants to go free choice. I could be wrong though.

novaman":2nipktpz said:
TexasBred":2nipktpz said:
I agree with you on not going free choice with beef cattle. I think the problem is the bossier cows getting more than their share and the others getting shorted. I believe this is why he wants to go free choice. I could be wrong though.

Providing adequate feed bunk space should take care of that problem. You certainly don't want to feed on the ground.

You have some choices to feed the corn silage. If bunk space is short the less dominant animals will get less and the more dominant animals will get to much.Buy more bunk space but this is probaly not an option. You can mix salt in the silage to stop the intake but this needs to mixed good to work and will be hard on the wagon.If you feed on the ground you will waste alot so this is not a good option. Next is work but it will have good results. Put the cattle in groups of body score or how much you want them to eat . Feed the cattle that need the best feed first and after they have had their fill or as much as you want them to eat take the wagon away and feed the next group the same way. The last group will clean up the wagon and have the lowest quality feed but they are the pigs of the group also and need to eat more grass .

Latest posts