Free Choice Corn Screenings for Creep?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
The recommended Acuration is about $330 a ton. I can get screenings for much much less. Even though the TDN will be a bit less they are a good value.

Any concerns or tips on changing to corn screenings as a free choice creep feed?

Stocker Steve":2nlxyt0h said:
The recommended Acuration is about $330 a ton. I can get screenings for much much less. Even though the TDN will be a bit less they are a good value.

Any concerns or tips on changing to corn screenings as a free choice creep feed?
Steve what type cattle will you be feeding? Stockers, Mature cattle????? Screening usually run about 85-90% of the value of corn, lower in protein and hopefully you'll be feeding a lot of roughage with them.

TexasBred":1he0j9w0 said:
[Steve what type cattle will you be feeding? Stockers, Mature cattle????? Screening usually run about 85-90% of the value of corn, lower in protein and hopefully you'll be feeding a lot of roughage with them.

4 wt. calves on short pasture, milk, and free choice 11% CP hay.

Overconsumption could be a short term problem to begin but probably won't go over 60% of the diet. Gain will be a little less than you'd have with corn or rolled corn but if the price is right why pass it up.

Considering the value of corn, and the high quality of this years corn crop in MN, it makes me really wonder why any grain elevator would be selling corn screenings. I would have concerns about what they are calling screenings.

inbredredneck":v79tqoif said:
Considering the value of corn, and the high quality of this years corn crop in MN, it makes me really wonder why any grain elevator would be selling corn screenings. I would have concerns about what they are calling screenings.
I've bought corn screening at the port in Houston that looked like beautiful chopped corn and zero trash. Have also seen some that were nothing more than cleanings...mostly bee wings, pieces of cob, dirt and very little corn.

TexasBred":2s21a3ii said:
inbredredneck":2s21a3ii said:
I've bought corn screening at the port in Houston that looked like beautiful chopped corn and zero trash. Have also seen some that were nothing more than cleanings...mostly bee wings, pieces of cob, dirt and very little corn.

Screening quality seems to vary a little based on corn test weight, and vary a lot based on how the screens are set up and what mix of products the elevator handles. There are some elevators I will not buy from.

My only concern would be that if it's truly fine that it can be digested way too fast and can lead to digestive problems like acidosis, maybe founder

dun":2w9yergn said:
My only concern would be that if it's truly fine that it can be digested way too fast and can lead to digestive problems like acidosis, maybe founder

I have bought a couple floundered calves. Didn't turn out real well.

Stocker Steve":2ss9oman said:
dun":2ss9oman said:

I have bought a couple floundered calves. Didn't turn out real well.
Shouldn't be a problem as long as they also get adequate roughage. I'd look for test weigh of at least 49 lbs. per bushel if possible.

Stocker Steve":7uw2dhyo said:
Bought 8 tons for 4 cents a pound. Should be able to come in under the value of gain...
I wish you luck with whatever it is you bought. Why anyone would sell you something for $2.24 per bushel when they paid $5.30 per bushel for it, leaves me scratching my head wondering what did I miss.

inbredredneck":3tx2bmd8 said:
Stocker Steve":3tx2bmd8 said:
Bought 8 tons for 4 cents a pound. Should be able to come in under the value of gain...
I wish you luck with whatever it is you bought. Why anyone would sell you something for $2.24 per bushel when they paid $5.30 per bushel for it, leaves me scratching my head wondering what did I miss.
A lot of dirt and other worthless junk. Even elevator dust is nearly $200 a ton.

inbredredneck":zc45t3l3 said:
Stocker Steve":zc45t3l3 said:

Most places here have good corn screenings, and prices range from 4 to 8 cents per pound.
Some places load out unit trains all year long and others are seasonal.
I don't ask too many questions - - but I think the employees buy a lot of it at my favorite location and they like to keep the price reasonable :nod: