Freckled face hereford

Help Support CattleToday:

Baldie Maker

Reaction score
Is anyone using any Freckled face A.I. sires. Would you post links if you do or just maybe pics.. I'm not wanting to buy any semen on any of them or use them on my cows this year.. Jus wanted to see if anyone was using them and the quality of the animals which have this characteristic. Horned or polled animals too..

When I think of freckles this one comes to mind- HRP THM victor 109w 9329

hrp9329.jpg

CPL":38gx6dji said:
When I think of freckles this one comes to mind- HRP THM victor 109w 9329

hrp9329.jpg

Wasn't his nickname 'Frosty', I my memory is correct? He is the heaviest freckled Hereford bull I ever did see.

Anyways. Back on topic, the freckled Hereford cattle have, for a long time, been associated predominately with the Victor bloodlines. In my opinion, in both Horned and Polled, the freckled Hereford cattle tend to be very maternal, having higher milk flow and great fertility.

I have used RHF IGT Victor 103T through A.I., and while he is not freckled himself, he throws daughters that are lightly freckled and have a heavily freckled udder.

The bull I just purchased in Alberta has a lightly freckled face. His maternal grandsire is known for throwing freckled cows with freckled udders. :cowboy:

Baldie Maker":yt16agr7 said:
Is anyone using any Freckled face A.I. sires. Would you post links if you do or just maybe pics.. I'm not wanting to buy any semen on any of them or use them on my cows this year.. Jus wanted to see if anyone was using them and the quality of the animals which have this characteristic. Horned or polled animals too..

May I ask why you want the freckles?

On the maternal quality issue, most Victors are very maternal (not neccesarily the heaviest milkers in the breed, but real cowmakers) and I believe that the maternal quality has everything to do with the bloodline and nothing with the freckles. The same apply for cattle with lots of white, same believe, same bloodline, etc.

I have a few cows that goes back to Vindicator quite a few generations back and they all have freckles to some extent.

We had a Brahman/Hereford cow that had freckles...not near as much as that bull, but it did look like she had a bunch of flies on her face and she passed the freckles down to her other 2 heifers that we now have

jcarkie":33qli0vb said:
his nickname is "Rusty"

That's it :) ....

KNERSIE":33qli0vb said:
Baldie Maker":33qli0vb said:

May I ask why you want the freckles?

On the maternal quality issue, most Victors are very maternal (not neccesarily the heaviest milkers in the breed, but real cowmakers) and I believe that the maternal quality has everything to do with the bloodline and nothing with the freckles. The same apply for cattle with lots of white, same believe, same bloodline, etc.

I have a few cows that goes back to Vindicator quite a few generations back and they all have freckles to some extent.

Sorry. Didn't mean to phrase it that way. Should have said that freckles and maternal qualities seem to follow each other in the breeding of Hereford lines. But hey, you never know...maybe Motley was the real true Hereford cow, while Pigeon was just riding on her good looks. :cowboy: :lol:

I don't want freckles.. atleast not right now. I had a Breeder which i bought some heifers from that told me tho that freckles cut down on pink eye. (I'm not saying it does or doesn't) I jus wondered how new it was to the breed and if it was becoming more prodoment.

My Grandfather had freckled Herefords in the herd over 40+++ years ago. I don't think it is something that is commonly bred for or bred against. I certainly wouldn't make a cull/keep decision on a heifer one way or the other because of the trait. I don't think it is becoming more common in the breed. It does seem to me that we had a lot more of the "mellow yellow" Herefords back in the 70s/80s than we do today. Red necks and google eyes are also more common in today's Herefords.