Frderal 410 handgun self defense loads?

Help Support CattleToday:

True Grit Farms

Reaction score

The primers aren't in the center of the brass. The Federal box says made in America. But they're sure not made in the same place as Hornady. I will not be buying anymore Federal 410 ammo.

True Grit Farms":37atsug6 said:

The primers aren't in the center of the brass. The Federal box says made in America. But they're sure not made in the same place as Hornady. I will not be buying anymore Federal 410 ammo.

That is very poor quality control. Wow!

The primers would have to be almost touching the rim of the case to not get hit by the firing pin. But that is horrible quality control.

I've stared at that picture a couple of times. I don't see what your talking about. They look centered to me. Not questioning your judgement, just my eyesight.

Never cared for Federal Ammo especially in shotgun shells if I didn't reload it I wanted the box to read Winchester Super X or Remington Express. Fiochi Golden Pheasant is some premium shells as well.
The best buckshot loads I have found in 410 are Winchester

Ryder":xlznwis2 said:
Why would you want a .410 for self defense?
If that gun is a .45/.410 I would certainly prefer the .45 for self defense.

I assume that you haven't done any real life test on stopping power. From the test that I've done, wound channel equals stopping power. There's not a pistol round made that has more stopping power than a .410, at close range.
Just for comparison a 230gr. 45cal bullet is only 1/2 oz. Some of the .410 self defense loads are well over 1 oz. and achieve the same velocity as the 45.

True Grit Farms":2qhz905l said:
Ryder":2qhz905l said:

I assume that you haven't done any real life test on stopping power. From the test that I've done, wound channel equals stopping power. There's not a pistol round made that has more stopping power than a .410, at close range.
Just for comparison a 230gr. 45cal bullet is only 1/2 oz. Some of the .410 self defense loads are well over 1 oz. and achieve the same velocity as the 45.

Now the rest of the story. The 410 has less penetration and less range as a defensive weapon. I will take the .45 ACP. If I only need a couple shots, I would prefer my single action Blackhawk in .44 magnum.

There are many opinions and theories about what makes a good self defense weapon. You see it all over the interwebs. I believe what is probably the most dependable would be a double action revolver, but thats not what I have. Platform is a personal choice, just be good, or at least efficient, with what you choose.

The round or caliber is not as important I don't believe. Although, obviously, a 45/410 etc will stop more than a 22, when whatever you have starts catching on fire you are gonna get their attention.

Shotgun or handgun I feel depends on the application. If I lived in a house with other people I would far prefer a shotgun. Less of a chance of a stray penetrating a wall and doing damage but very effective at those kind of close ranges against a single or even multiple assailants. If I had to shoot through a car door or window the handgun (or even better a rifle) would be my choice. I think that is part of the reason "The Judge" has become so popular. Sadly a lot of the hype and horse schitt about selve defence is from people relying on movies for their information/ifeas.

dun":3ummagut said:
Shotgun or handgun I feel depends on the application. If I lived in a house with other people I would far prefer a shotgun. Less of a chance of a stray penetrating a wall and doing damage but very effective at those kind of close ranges against a single or even multiple assailants. If I had to shoot through a car door or window the handgun (or even better a rifle) would be my choice. I think that is part of the reason "The Judge" has become so popular. Sadly a lot of the hype and horse schitt about selve defence is from people relying on movies for their information/ifeas.
Judge is a good gun for on the nightstand or in the truck or mule for personal carry I wouldn't even consider it. Bought one for the wife years ago for the house loaded with Winchester AA #8 great for snakes and varmits around. For defense she carries a 38

dun":3024szjj said:

So very true, and I agree with everything in that post. I feel self-defense is within 10 to15 feet of me, and at that range I'll take a high brass #4 every time.
http://m.hornady.com/store/410-Critical-Defense-Ammo/
This is what I prefer for my last 4 rounds. You need to try these CB, a 125gr 38+p load won't stop a shark in it's tracks ever. The Hornady will most of the time, and a high brass #4 will every time. I've shot hundreds of sharks with my 338 to a 22. And nothing will stop them like a high brass #4 or #6 shot from a 12 ga. This is real life and no BS.

Margonme":1huchr6y said:
True Grit Farms":1huchr6y said:
Ryder":1huchr6y said:

Now the rest of the story. The 410 has less penetration and less range as a defensive weapon. I will take the .45 ACP. If I only need a couple shots, I would prefer my single action Blackhawk in .44 magnum.
True Grit you are right.
I haven't shot anyone with a .410 pistol lately so I can't attest to the stopping power or lack thereof personally.
However I would still take a .45 for reasons put forth by Margonme.

True Grit Farms":235rv2l5 said:
Ryder":235rv2l5 said:

I think you are wrong, Mr. True Grit.

S&W M500 .50 Magnum
350 gr Hornady XTP HP
1,912 ft/s
2,842 ft·lbs

Margonme":31ubf7xc said:
True Grit Farms":31ubf7xc said:
Ryder":31ubf7xc said:

S&W M500 .50 Magnum
350 gr Hornady XTP HP
1,912 ft/s
2,842 ft·lbs
A single shot .50 BMG pistol has even more, but it would seem that you would want something that you could actaully carry and not be half afraid to tough off.

dun":2hchv8sk said:
Margonme":2hchv8sk said:
True Grit Farms":2hchv8sk said:

S&W M500 .50 Magnum
350 gr Hornady XTP HP
1,912 ft/s
2,842 ft·lbs
A single shot .50 BMG pistol has even more, but it would seem that you would want something that you could actaully carry and not be half afraid to tough off.

I agree. 44 magnum is the most recoil I want in a handgun.

Latest posts