Frances?

Help Support CattleToday:

D.R. Cattle

Reaction score
Ooops! Looks like we have a cranky old bat with her eyes on me this time!
e68c8e91.jpg
[/img]

The cows seem to be halfway smart about it. Most of my leases are pushed up old citrus groves with drainage swales. They get into the swales and ride it out. The horses are a different story. Horses have a tendency to overeact to scary things and will actually hurt themselves in the process. I've got some friends scattered around the state I could call on to turn the horses out in their pastures for the storm, provided they aren't in the path. It's still a long ways away for now. I've heard the story of the Palm Beach hurricane from years ago. That thing came across Lake Okeechobee and developed a formidable surge in the lake, before they diked it off. Ended up they found white man, Indians and cattle scattered all over the place afterwards.

If you were in CA with a storm like that coming you'ld be waxing up your surf board

dun

I quess it depends on the horses. I watched mine during the recent unpleasantness and they just turned their butts into the wind. Even saw them grazing at times. And one them will usually respond negatively to a butterfly who passes gas. :)

D.R.,
do me a favor and see if you can fan Fran up the atlantic. I'll take some rain in southwest georgia if you can set the outskirts right over me, though. thanks, beefy

Beefy":3nynek2f said:
D.R.,
do me a favor and see if you can fan Fran up the atlantic. I'll take some rain in southwest georgia if you can set the outskirts right over me, though. thanks, beefy

Uhh...be careful what you wish for?

MARINE FORECAST
COCOA BEACH TO JUPITER INLET OUT TO 60 NM OFFSHORE-
430 AM EDT TUE AUG 31 2004

WEDNESDAY NIGHT
NORTHEAST WINDS 15 TO 20 KNOTS. SEAS 3 TO 5 FEET.
INTRACOASTAL WATERS CHOPPY. SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND
THUNDERSTORMS.

THURSDAY
NORTHEAST WINDS 15 TO 20 KNOTS. SEAS 5 TO 7 FEET.
SCATTERED SHOWERS AND ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS.

FRIDAY
NORTHEAST WINDS 20 TO 25 KNOTS INCREASING TO 30 TO 35 KNOTS
BY EVENING. SEAS 8 TO 10 FEET...BUILDING TO 11 TO 13 FEET BY EVENING.
SCATTERED SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS.

SATURDAY
NORTHEAST WINDS 30 TO 35 KNOTS...BECOMING SOUTH BY
EVENING. SEAS 11 TO 13 FEET. NUMEROUS SHOWERS AND ISOLATED
THUNDERSTORMS.

Anybody wanna go fishing this Saturday?

D.R. Cattle":onsh75qe said:
Anybody wanna go fishing this Saturday?

I've never done any surf fishing in a pasture, could be interesting

dun

I wonder what's going on sometimes. My daughter and her family are evacuating TO FL.

dun

Dun,
Its not uncommon to find fish out in our pastures after a heavy rain. i had to rescue a 3 foot long grass carp one time.

D.R.,
Fran might bring new meaning to "fishing the grass flats"

Beefy":1csb9ihx said:
Dun,
Its not uncommon to find fish out in our pastures after a heavy rain. i had to rescue a 3 foot long grass carp one time.

D.R.,
Fran might bring new meaning to "fishing the grass flats"

When we used to flood irrigate we would get an occasional catfish in the pasture, but hundreds of crawdads. Yummee

dun

Almost every fall after the first high water I find salmon in the low spots in my fields. Trouble is that salmon don't stay good very long in fresh water, so by the time I find them they aren't fit to eat.
Dave