Frances Sucks

Help Support CattleToday:

M Gravlee":3sjdrw8o said:
Hi D.R.,

Did great in Akumal. No damage except a few limbs. The beach is gone but it's starting to come back already.

Not so good in Orange Beach. The eye passed 2 miles west of us. The worst possible place. Every house on the island was damaged, many totally destroyed. We had a good bit of roof damage and the resulting rain damage soaked the living room and den and the bedroom under them. Don't know when we can get to the house. The bridge to the island is not usable. Nobody can get in the entire area to even make temporary repairs.

Oh, the joys of coastal living!

Best of luck. Lots of barely used generators for cheap here now. Even though I STILL don't have power at home. Disaster assistance teams have done a tremendous job in our area, so rest assured that food and water should be readily available. Especially since elections are right around the corner. Make a note to contact FEMA. They have offered lots of help in the financial department for those suffering losses personally and commercially. I haven't recieved anything from them yet, but expect to get help offsetting the cost of "homemade electricity" as well as farm and crop losses. Catch 22- do I go ahead and utilize an insurance check for repairs, or wait for Jeanne to make up her mind? Another double jeopardy. I've got folks in Seminole, AL. They may end up needing my help. If I end up that way, I'll post to check your need for supplies. God Bless.

This is not meant to be rude in any way so please don't take it that way but.............. if you don't have electricity then how are you powering your computer?

txshowmom":rs9z3ilq said:
This is not meant to be rude in any way so please don't take it that way but.............. if you don't have electricity then how are you powering your computer?

At the office. But I do have a generator at home. Unfortunately no phone lines.

txshowmom":20kz1p4e said:

Maybe a gator running around in a big squirrel cage generator

dun

No Dun you have it all wrong. According to the news this morning all the gators are loose at the zoo in Alabama.

I did see a gator swimming across state road 60 right after the storm. Lots of bluegill and bass swimming around in yards. But we've dried up pretty good since. I've noticed a big fish kill (freshwater) and I'm trying to determine the cause. Mass amounts of water? Salinity in the rain from hurricane? High nitrogen runoff from farms?

I think DR mentioned he is at his inlaws place who does have electricity...
DR,
I think you should hold on to that insurance check until Jeanne (or other hurricanes) passes through. Hurricanes can be very unpredictable in their paths.... They said Ivan would hit the Fl. keys but he steered to the left and went around FL. Besides, you will not be able to get the right supplies you needed from hardware stores, etc.... As bad as the weather is, shipments will be very slow...
I've volunteered for Red Cross before (since I moved here there is none in my area so....) and their primary goal is your safety. Water and food is their second goal....clean up is third and last is rebuilding... In hurricanes, they would love it if people makes the right decisions and travel as far away as you can possibly go....even take in strangers (older people who can't drive, etc) and get out of Dodge. They would like (but they can't force ya) folks like DR, to lose their stubborness and simply leave...their safety is in danger and it makes the works for emergency services harder by sticking around... When Jeanne comes, PLEASE evacuate! Don't take the chances!

They would like (but they can't force ya) folks like DR, to lose their stubborness and simply leave.

I'd stay too. A person has a right to protect their property. You need to STOP with the name calling its getting old! :mad:

name calling? where? Pray tell, wheres the name calling? Oh the word "Stubborness"? Its true.... people say to themselves, "I ain't leavin'" thats being stubborn, brave, and gutsy. At least I didn't call him dim-witted, or pig-headed did I? THATS name callin'. I've left the name callin' for BP. Thats his job, not mine. There isn't anything to be protect if you are DEAD!

D.R. Cattle":qd89tu0h said:
Jeanne is trying to follow a similar path as Frances. I've been here 35 years and I've never seen anything like this. Is the end near? I've been thinking of relocating to an area near Macon. Lo and behold they just got slammed. Who's next? Seems like it's Texas's turn.

I should be more careful with my statements?