frame score vs paying the bills

Help Support CattleToday:

dun":2hah6945 said:
The smaller framed bulls give us calves that sell a bit lower because of the frame even though they're the same muscle.

Why is that? Selling by the pound? Customers want larger heifers? Seems, if the thinking is actually accurate, they would finish easier (cheaper) and thus be more attractive . . . . as long as they are the same muscle.

When I walk into a pen of big framed bulls the last thing that goes through my mind is how all that p[erceived extra growth is going to make me money. I tend to ponder on the increased Cost of Production in their daughters and steers, the heavy carcass discounts when I sell them on the grid-the possible calving troubles. As to customers wanting big heifers I have to call BS on that one we've sold alot of moderate sized bred heifers over the years for some real good money. Big framed-overfed cattle can be pleasing to the eye not much else. If I want to increease frame and performance-not necessarily profit- on my black and baldie cows I'll turn out a exotic bull. When I walk into a pen of bulls they had better look pretty even-not a big fan of flavour of the month purebred outfits.

angus9259":147fbr6p said:
dun":147fbr6p said:
The smaller framed bulls give us calves that sell a bit lower because of the frame even though they're the same muscle.

Why is that? Selling by the pound? Customers want larger heifers? Seems, if the thinking is actually accurate, they would finish easier (cheaper) and thus be more attractive . . . . as long as they are the same muscle.

A # 1 muscle small framed calf won;t carry the actual muscle that a #1 large framed calf will. The processors still want a carcass within a weight range, smaller or larger and it's not worth as much to them.

Angus 9259 If i was you i would raise all those 6-6.5 bulls i could sell. because feeding the smaller ones longer till you get rid of them nowdays will cost you the profit on them pretty quick.

Latest posts