Frame Creep

Help Support CattleToday:

I went ahead and double checked and cow weights are taken at weaning.

Page 35

"At weaning, cow weight and body condition
score should be collected along with calf weaning weight.
Depending on the association, cow weights can be used to
calculate mature cow weight EPD. Also, cow weight and body
condition are important components of the new EPD being
developed for cow efficiency and cow maintenance."

http://www.albcia.com/documents/DataCol ... apter7.pdf

Aero":2sbpzsc7 said:
"how much is enough?" was the main point. figure out what your environment will support (without supplementation) and try to stabilize it. you can't just keep pushing weaning weights up and cow weights down. find a level and optimize the system as a whole. the laws of thermodynamics apply pretty well to cattle in this situation.

1st law: there is only so much energy/stuff. interpret - you are only going to get so much out of a cow; don't expect miracles.
2nd law: there is a natural tendency for every process; if you want to change the process, it takes energy. interpret - the more you want to change nature's way, the more energy it will take.

I like this!

Regarding first law: If a cow weans 50-52% of her weight at 205 days she has done her job and will probably be able to do it for quite a few years. Trying to get her to wean 60% or more is like pushing the dairy cows - they just get burned out quickly.

Regarding second law: Amen. The trouble is identifying that natural tendency for every process.

I read somewhere how many of us have forgotton that grass likes to stand still and cows like to move around. We keep trying to make cows stand still and move the grass ( and corn etc) around...

Thank you.

Jim

Input appreciated. I read a little bit of everything on this thread. I don't think I see a majority agreeing on a couple risks unless I missed it. The three things that stand in my mind the most are calving risks, steer marketability risks, and milk risks.

Latest posts