FOXTAILS!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

notimeforfear

Reaction score
Im boarding my horse right now and i always check his mouth before i ride. well today i found mass amounts of foxtails stuck under his tounge and in his gums. i think it is from the alfalfa that the owner of the facility is feeding him. so i have a few questions. how bad are foxtails? is she responsible if the foxtails cause a major health isue? and am i entitled to better quality hay when im boarding somewhere?

notimeforfear":3udssg9o said:
Im boarding my horse right now and i always check his mouth before i ride. well today i found mass amounts of foxtails stuck under his tounge and in his gums. i think it is from the alfalfa that the owner of the facility is feeding him. so i have a few questions. how bad are foxtails? is she responsible if the foxtails cause a major health isue? and am i entitled to better quality hay when im boarding somewhere?

Are you sure it's foxtail and not cheatgrass?

although they are similar, it is foxtails. it grows looking a lot like wheat. thats what i thought it was. but i was told otherwise now my horse has sores in his mouth from it. i took him off that hay and now have him on hay cubes until the 3rd cutting when they should be all gone

You must have a different type of foxtail than we do. Unless we spray the foxtail(which is exactly what we do), it will only multiply and get worse.

Latest posts