foxtails

Help Support CattleToday:

mdw

Reaction score
Had a flood in our bottom land last year. Now, suddenly, I'm finding what I think are bunches of brown fox tails. I know the problems they cause in dogs. Do they generally cause problems in grazing cattle?

In my experience, cattle won't let them get to the seed stage. They keep it grazed. But then I also find it humorous how some people pretend they're dangerous to dogs.

Had a flood in our bottom land last year. Now, suddenly, I'm finding what I think are bunches of brown fox tails. I know the problems they cause in dogs. Do they generally cause problems in grazing cattle?
Foxtails in a dog's ears, between the toes, and in thick hair can work their way into some very bad places.

In South Dakota I had some bad experiences with foxtails. The cows would ingest them and before they were swallowed they would occasionally work their way into the gum or the cheek, or even lower in the esophagus. They could cause an abscess. Some would get huge. I had to lance several and the volume of stuff that came out was amazing. I had one very nice heifer that got two of them and even after I lanced and drained them she never recovered properly. Until she got them she was on the list to be retained... but she went to the sale barn.

I have had problems with them. Had a heifer who I thought had pink eye… nope. She had a foxtail deep in her eye. Vet recommended glove up with lube and dig deep. Sure enough. So just watch out for swollen irritated eyes. Can come from foxtails.

I have had problems with them. Had a heifer who I thought had pink eye… nope. She had a foxtail deep in her eye. Vet recommended glove up with lube and dig deep. Sure enough. So just watch out for swollen irritated eyes. Can come from foxtails.
Had the same thing with a cereal rye head. The vet pulled it out and it made me wince. Amazing how something so big can make its way in the eye.

Lots of summertime foxtail here. Cows love it. Pull the stem out and bite the tender end off. It's sweet. It might be yellow foxtail though not sure.

Latest posts