Founder

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

For a basic and totally stupid question, what is "foundering" and can it affect cattle as well as horses? Thanks.

Founder is actaully "laminitis" or inflamation of the laminate of the hoof. It usually is seen as what I call "slipper feet" or "Genie toes", long curling growth of the toes. Yes. cows can have the problem as well as horses. A soft footing with no abrasion can also look like the same problem. It happens a lot with dairy cows. In there case it's frequently a combination of both causes.

dun

> For a basic and totally stupid
> question, what is
> "foundering" and can it
> affect cattle as well as horses?
> Thanks.

> For a basic and totally stupid
> question, what is
> "foundering" and can it
> affect cattle as well as horses?
> Thanks. Yes and yes!!! Its a very bad disease. In Horses they can eat lets say too much grain, not drink enfough water, or sudden change in diet,to lush a green grass, these are examples of what could cause founder. There are a whole list of others..The horse gets a belly ache he can't vomit like we can so the pain eather goes away because it was caught and treated,most likely by a vet..or left untreated and horse further becomes sick.he lays down rolls and in some cases twists a gut,not allways..but the pain becomes so sever that for some reason it will settle in the feet most always the frount.the horse will rock his weight back onto his back feet to help the pain ease.when this happens the coffin bone starts to rotate pointing down,this causes the white line to start to seperate and thus the process is pretty complete.. Some horses are more susseptable to changes than others.. When we teach folks about horesmanship basics we teach you DON'T ride and put away a wet hot horse and let him drink cold water you DON'T free choice grain,You DON'T change there diet from one product to another,you DON'T turn out on new lush pasture. You get the point.These animals are really strong UNTIL they get sick and then they are as weak as a new born kitten. So if you follow the rulles carefully I hope it never happens to you.You need to keep an eye on your animals a good heardsman will check his animals over closely at least once a day..When you catch things in the 1st stage you have a better chance to help the animal out of troubble... I might add there is more to this but I would suggest you search on the internet for more info on this or get a good book, or talk to your vet..The Best to You Cindy

[email protected]

Latest posts