Founder on preg. cow

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

We just let our cows out on pasture from hay. I think my calf maybe be starting to founder. I sure hope not. Can someone give me some quick advice. I need help!!!!!!--Becky

[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Becky,

Please tell us what you are seeing that makes you think your cow is foundering.

Could you be talking about bloat??
 
OP
A

Anonymous

> Becky,

> Please tell us what you are seeing
> that makes you think your cow is
> foundering.

> Could you be talking about bloat?? We let her out to pasture on brome. Her hooves have a white appearance on the upper hoove. I don't know if she has to much protein or what. I am as you can tell fairly new to all this. She had a slight case of scours too. We gave her scourguard due to her pregancy. Does that help you. Hopefully it helps you to give me advice.--Becky

[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Hi Becky,

I'm not going to be able to answer your main questions, I'm afraid. I'm not familiar with either feeding brome nor with founder in cattle. There are some good ag extension and ag university links on my web site. You might try searching through them for articles on founder. I do remember reading one, but can't remember on which site.

As for scours, runny, loose to liquid stool is pretty normal for a cow out on spring grass. As long as she looks healthy otherwise - chewing her cud, up and eating regularly, not standing around humped up and miserable looking - she should be fine. She will continue to have fairly loose stools while on green grass. True scours usually have a foul smell, off color, and are caused by a bacteria, virus, or by some parasites.

It's good that you gave the scourguard. Be sure to check the directions and give the second shot at the appropriate time. If you're a little off in predicting her due date, you might even wind up giving a third shot.

Rafter L Murray Greys
 
OP
A

Anonymous

> Hi Becky,

> I'm not going to be able to answer
> your main questions, I'm afraid.
> I'm not familiar with either
> feeding brome nor with founder in
> cattle. There are some good ag
> extension and ag university links
> on my web site. You might try
> searching through them for
> articles on founder. I do remember
> reading one, but can't remember on
> which site.

> As for scours, runny, loose to
> liquid stool is pretty normal for
> a cow out on spring grass. As long
> as she looks healthy otherwise -
> chewing her cud, up and eating
> regularly, not standing around
> humped up and miserable looking -
> she should be fine. She will
> continue to have fairly loose
> stools while on green grass. True
> scours usually have a foul smell,
> off color, and are caused by a
> bacteria, virus, or by some
> parasites.

> It's good that you gave the
> scourguard. Be sure to check the
> directions and give the second
> shot at the appropriate time. If
> you're a little off in predicting
> her due date, you might even wind
> up giving a third shot. Thanks for the info and advice. I have given my cow all her scourguard shots. She seens to be doing well now. I'll check your site and see if I can find an article. Thanks--Becky

[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

I'm thinking that the "scours" is from being on a higher protein forage then she's had before. I'm not sure about the "white line" on her hooves, but if she was foundering, she act like she had a stomach ache first. And definately off her feed. I'm sure she's fine

[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

> I'm thinking that the
> "scours" is from being
> on a higher protein forage then
> she's had before. I'm not sure
> about the "white line"
> on her hooves, but if she was
> foundering, she act like she had a
> stomach ache first. And definately
> off her feed. I'm sure she's fine Thanks for the reply and the reasurance, I am definitely learning. Thanks again.--Becky

[email protected]
 

Latest posts

Top