found money

Help Support CattleToday:

dj

Reaction score
Heard a cow hollering hello to mine the other morning.
Sure nuff this little heifer comes trotting down the road.
Since some of the kids travel 60+ plus mph down this road I got quick and ran the cows out of the driveway into a small front pasture. Then circled round and eased her into the drive and got the gates shut. As you can see from the photo this girl has that "I'd rather be far away look in her eyes".
I decide if she was going to stay "put" she'd have to be put in something beside barbed wire. After getting her the best place I could to keep her went in and made some phone calls.
2-3 hrs later the owners hired hand showed up and she was on her way back home. I'd thought she was worth at least a six pack of sodas, some coffee cookies left in the mailbox, a Thank You call??? Guess she wasn't worth that, haven't heard a thing.Ah well no hurt no foul. She wouldn't have stayed here long anyway cows that have that high headed far away look get their wish.
foundheifer.jpg

dj":3nipxs8k said:
I'd thought she was worth at least a six pack of sodas, some coffee cookies left in the mailbox, a Thank You call???

DJ,

True Story:

There was a bad brush fire raging through the county and awful close to home. You had the factor of VFDs cutting fences, bulldozers building fire breaks, and of course, wood fence posts on some of the places that dissipated.

Stock was running rampant. We started running stock up the drive at my place and sorting them in different pens. Most locals found their stock fed and watered and were very appreciative. Some were loaded in trailers and others were simply driven back home.

There were a few stragglers that started getting into my back pocket. I couldn't find the owners. Finally a man drove up with an accent that wasn't local, all bent out of shape ready to fight. He half acused me of stealing his stock and went ranting to all the neighbors too. Eventually I saw his stock and figured out which place was his. He went back with wood posts again. That was his second mistake. I can guarantee you that if any of his cows ever get out for any reason in the future, no one in these parts are going to round them up. We will all simply feel sorry for the animals.

I think that I would have been embarrassed if that would have been my animal and I would have been bending over backwards to show you how greatful I was that you caught her and kept her until I could get there. I would have offered a couple sacks of feed, 20.00 bucks to take the kids to the movies or something. That owner may not be as fortunate next time. I know that around here, if your animal gets out and causes an accident on the road, the owner is liable for the losses.

Did you hear that news report earlier this week about the truck wreck on I-45? One car hauler slammed on his brakes to avoid hitting a miniature donkey and another truck hauling turkey legs hit the car hauler, causing a fire and killing one of the drivers.

It was a nice looking animal and he had on a halter and was dragging a lead rope. He had been clipped off and you could tell that he belonged to someone. I'll bet that as good as he looked, he was probably registered.

I would hate to be the owner of that animal and have to explain what happened that he was allowed to get out on the hiway. It was a terrible accident.

Some segments of that were on the news. Wranglers on horseback were brought in to try and rope it when it ran onto I-45 yet again, nearly causing more wrecks. The news guy stuck a camara in the face of the guy driving off with it, once they finally loaded it, and the man promptly said he didn't know who it belonged to. Yeah right!

Most of the folks who had stock rounded up onto my place were grateful. They were also prompt to retrieve them. Some patched holes in their fences first. Lammie you know how it is when brush fire breaks out in these parts, especially with the high winds. Fire can travel 40 MPH when it is dry.

backhoeboogie":2bhmiz5v said:
dj":2bhmiz5v said:
I'd thought she was worth at least a six pack of sodas, some coffee cookies left in the mailbox, a Thank You call???

DJ,

True Story:

There was a bad brush fire raging through the county and awful close to home. You had the factor of VFDs cutting fences, bulldozers building fire breaks, and of course, wood fence posts on some of the places that dissipated.

Stock was running rampant. We started running stock up the drive at my place and sorting them in different pens. Most locals found their stock fed and watered and were very appreciative. Some were loaded in trailers and others were simply driven back home.

There were a few stragglers that started getting into my back pocket. I couldn't find the owners. Finally a man drove up with an accent that wasn't local, all bent out of shape ready to fight. He half acused me of stealing his stock and went ranting to all the neighbors too. Eventually I saw his stock and figured out which place was his. He went back with wood posts again. That was his second mistake. I can guarantee you that if any of his cows ever get out for any reason in the future, no one in these parts are going to round them up. We will all simply feel sorry for the animals.

Boogie sounds like you were being a good neighbor, that idiot that was ranting and raving will be sorry before its over. I know that attitude around here would get you shunned as well as a knot on your head.

Yea. I liked the way they roped it too. Some guy finally got it by the heel and then dragged it across the pavement. Later I saw a shot of a guy kicking it as it was loaded in a trailer.

It wasn't the poor animal's fault. If you let one, it will roam free, which I can attest to. I imagine that that donkey was as freaked out as anyone else. I sure hope that they hold the owner responsible. I can't imagine how I would feel if old Gus had caused a wreck when he got out.

Yes. I can remember my dad and brothers fighting fires. I can remember learning when I was real little what burning grass smelled and looked like.

I count noses everyday when I get to my place just to make sure none are out. Last evening I counted one extra and after a few recounts and a closer look realized I had an extra bull. Nice looking young black bull but the same size and color as my heifers. I walked the fence looking for holes and finally decided one of my neighbors must have found it outside and figured since it looked like mine it must be. Anyway, drove around asking if anyone had lost one, finally found someone who said they did and told them to bring a bucket of feed and I would put it in the corall so all they had to do was load. Waited around till dark and no one showed and I'm getting pretty ticked now. I'll take some feed up this evening and put it up myself then go see them again. I will highly recommend they come get it TODAY.

Finally a man drove up with an accent that wasn't local, all bent out of shape ready to fight. He half acused me of stealing his stock and went ranting to all the neighbors too

a young fellar came over the mountain a few years ago all bent out of shape and ready to fight like the guy you're talking about...yelling at my neighbor saying he stole his horse (which was one of my horse that I had sold the man a few weeks before...and the horse was born and raised on my farm) ...well that guy kept insisted that it was his horse until he finally just pushed my neighbor out of the way (my neighbor is about 71 years old) and about that time I looked out the window and my neighbors grandson is walking towards the fellar with a pi$$ed off look on his face...well that was site to see when he got to that fellar :D ...and lets just say that guy aint going to come back to our town jawin off anymore :lol: