Found an Unusual Bottle

Help Support CattleToday:

ga. prime

Reaction score
P1010636.jpg

Looks like it holds about a pint and is really old. Anybody have info on it?

I got a few of those and am told these were used on ships. Instead of sitting on top of the table they sat in a concave groove in the table. Excellent find! Where did you find it?

Found it while doing some yardwork (involving digging) for my brother over in Savannah. His house is right up next to the marsh. Lucky I didn't break it. It cleaned up real good. I did manage to cut his phone line with a shovel. Never would have known except my sister in law came out and said "hey, our phone stopped working". :lol2:

I cannot tell by looking ~ does it have bubbles in the glass? Are there any seams on it?

Yes, it does have seams on opposite sides of the bottle up to the top. The top looks like it was placed on in a separate step. There are some twists (wrinkles) in the neck. A few very small bubbles. No writing on it.

ga. prime":2somasz4 said:
Found it while doing some yardwork (involving digging) for my brother over in Savannah. His house is right up next to the marsh. Lucky I didn't break it. It cleaned up real good. I did manage to cut his phone line with a shovel. Never would have known except my sister in law came out and said "hey, our phone stopped working". :lol2:

What digging job would be complete without doing that :lol2: .

Larry

Does it have a green tint or is it my imagination? I like the bottle but I luv the table. Did you make it?

newrancher":1ab68jzl said:
Does it have a green tint or is it my imagination? I like the bottle but I luv the table. Did you make it?
Yes it does have a green tint.

I didn't make the table. My grandaddy had that table made back in the 1960's from a sawblade that came from his shingle mill (cut shingles from cypress logs). He also had a set of chairs made with harrow discs as the seats. You can see the corner of one of the chairs in the lower right of the pic. He had a table and set of chairs made for each of his three sons. I don't remember the shingle mill because it's heyday was well before my time- 1930's and 40's I think. I do remember when he had that table and chairs made. They've held up really well- look pretty much the same now as they did 45 years ago. :D

ga. prime":9r3mmzle said:
Yes, it does have seams on opposite sides of the bottle up to the top. The top looks like it was placed on in a separate step. There are some twists (wrinkles) in the neck. A few very small bubbles. No writing on it.
A book I have says: 1880-1890
Seems end just below the lip, which was then flash polished by machine rather than slowly polished by hand.
Seems all the way up the bottle including the lip are after 1890.
Seems are the result of molds rather than hand-blown glass.
I don't have any info about your specific type of bottle.

Might scan around on ebay for antique bottles. Amazing some of the stuff that you can find and use for reference on there

I didn't make the table. My grandaddy had that table made back in the 1960's from a sawblade that came from his shingle mill (cut shingles from cypress logs). He also had a set of chairs made with harrow discs as the seats. You can see the corner of one of the chairs in the lower right of the pic. He had a table and set of chairs made for each of his three sons. I don't remember the shingle mill because it's heyday was well before my time- 1930's and 40's I think. I do remember when he had that table and chairs made. They've held up really well- look pretty much the same now as they did 45 years ago. :D[/quote]I can see the corner of a chair, would love to see the set. What a story!

Trade you a box of pawpaw's for the bottle. :lol: :lol:
Great looking table and chairs and the best thing is can be passed down with the story of who made them for generations to come.

:lol2: No deal, KT. You don't want one of those chairs flipped over on your bare toes either, I can tell you. Inexplicably happened to one of my sisters about 40 years ago.

Thanks ga. prime. I definetly would not want one of those on MY toe, could cripple a feller.

My maternal grandaddy had some of those. He used to dig abandonned shallow wells. People filled dry wells with trash in the old days. He always referred to those as "bullet bottles". I don't know if that was a correct term or just a layman's term amongst bottle traders. He's been gone for several years now.

backhoeboogie":19mec9ys said:
My maternal grandaddy had some of those. He used to dig abandonned shallow wells. People filled dry wells with trash in the old days. He always referred to those as "bullet bottles". I don't know if that was a correct term or just a layman's term amongst bottle traders. He's been gone for several years now.

I've done some internet research on this bottle since this thread began. One name that kept popping up was torpedo bottle. Bullet bottle is just as good of a name. An explanation for the bottle's shape that I read was that you couldn't sit the bottle down once you opened it (at least one use of them was for soft drinks) and had to drink it up and reach for another.

Latest posts