Found an aborted calf today

Help Support CattleToday:

B.C.K Red Angus":2o1kily1 said:
hello, im new hear and i just had the same thing happen to me , my best cow aborted her calf a month early .
Check the response on the other thread you posted.

shadyhollownj said:
So my question is do I take the cow for a ride if its one of our good cows or just let it slide since we have never had an abortion before. quote]

To answer this question, take her for a ride. In my earlier days of raising cattle, I would keep a cow around if she lost her calf or came up open. However I have found, if I keep the same cow around long enough, she will do it again eventually. With the price it takes to keep a cow for a year around here, you can't afford to feed an animal for a year with zero return. That just sucks down profit from your cows that are doing their job.

About 8 years ago I just made up my mind on this topic. Open cow-culled. Onry cow-culled. Old cow(no teeth left)-culled. Bad udder- culled. Loses a calf- culled.
I had to sell some cows that I definitely didn't want to, and still have to almost every year. But it will end up making more money in the long run. There are cows out there or you can bring up from your own herd that can: 1. wean a calf every year. 2. breed back in a 65 day breeding season. 3. not be a "hard keeper". 4. be easy to work with.

Is it possible that what ever cow it was could have slipped on the ice or snow? Ours were having problems navigating around here for awhile.

Latest posts