Fort Worth to Denver

Help Support CattleToday:

Ryan

Reaction score
Next week I will be going from Fort Worth to Denver with a load of show cattle. I was wondering what would be the best route to take. I have looked at 3 different websites and got 3 different routes. I know how to get there going through Raton, NM then Trinidad, CO and then straight north. But, one site recommended going through far eastern Colorado. Taking 287 all the way to 70. And the third site had me going up to Kansas then taking a left to Colorado.

Looking for a combination of quick and easy. Don't have a much time to waste getting from the Fort Worth Stock Show to the National Western. Also is there a route better than the others in case of inclement weather?

Thanks for any help.

Ryan

Ryan I went many times up through Raton and it seemed best. It has been several years tho and things may be different now.

Stop off at Clayton, NM at that sporting goods store on the north side of the road if it is still there. Best maw and paw outfitter shop I have ever been in to be so small of a place.

I like the 287 route in the big truck, you can really make some good time. The scenery is great, your mileage may vary, definitely NOT alot of traffic.

Ryan,

I don't have an answer for the route...but knock 'em dead in Denver!!!!!

Alice

At this time of the year, I'd take the most traveled and patrolled route. After having lived in Denver area for about 10 years and in SW Kansas for 2-3 years, what you DON't want to run into is a snowstorm in Western Kansas or Eastern Colorado. Can be lots of wind creating whiteouts even if there is not much snow. Weather can change fast in those areas. Also, I-25 between Colo Springs and Denver (via Monument Hill and Castle Rock area) is well known for dangerous road icing conditions when the conditions are right. Even the Coloradians can't seem to keep that stretch of I-25 safe and "sliding free" at times in the winter... Guess it's still fallout from the infamous blizzard of 1982 when Mayor Frederico Pena bombed out in trying to get streets of Denver cleared of ice so traffic could move again.

I won't even get into the hazards of I-70 when conditions are sever...lol

Alice-
Thank you for the well wishes. A buddy and myself are taking some animals up for some other breeders. We are hoping for a pretty successful show, but even more excited about going to the National Western for our first times.

Bill-
I definitely don't want to hit any bad weather, that is for sure. Which route would you say is the most traveled this time of year? I have already been told that all travel done past Amarillo will be driven by me, as my buddy going with me has seen snow all 3 times in his life.

Ryan

I live about an hour south of OKC.I like running 35 to 70 to Denver the best with a trailer.

Ryan":kuetgfu2 said:
Next week I will be going from Fort Worth to Denver with a load of show cattle. I was wondering what would be the best route to take. I have looked at 3 different websites and got 3 different routes. I know how to get there going through Raton, NM then Trinidad, CO and then straight north. But, one site recommended going through far eastern Colorado. Taking 287 all the way to 70. And the third site had me going up to Kansas then taking a left to Colorado.

Looking for a combination of quick and easy. Don't have a much time to waste getting from the Fort Worth Stock Show to the National Western. Also is there a route better than the others in case of inclement weather?

Thanks for any help.

Ryan

That is the route I took last time I made a similar trip. Be careful in Raton and Trinidad, as they are speed traps. That, unfortunately has also been my experience. I once made the trip in college and the student driving got tickets in each place. Good luck.

Ryan":qdsgnmuk said:
Alice-
Thank you for the well wishes. A buddy and myself are taking some animals up for some other breeders. We are hoping for a pretty successful show, but even more excited about going to the National Western for our first times.

Bill-
I definitely don't want to hit any bad weather, that is for sure. Which route would you say is the most traveled this time of year? I have already been told that all travel done past Amarillo will be driven by me, as my buddy going with me has seen snow all 3 times in his life.

Ryan

As you know, the I-25 route through Raton and Trinidad and Pueblo has some interesting hills and curves...not ideal for snow packed roads...lol. Be sure to check your radar and NOAA weather forecasts and conditions. If you take a "short cut" North of Amarillo across Kansas and Eastern Colorado State roads (Lamar, LaJunta, Kit Carson areas, etc.), not sure how traveled or maintained they are when snow/ice hits. Lot of open spaces that encourage blowing snow conditions. I can't offer any more information since I haven't traveled any of those routes since early 1980's...don't have any reason to head in those directions... ;-)

If you take a "short cut" North of Amarillo across Kansas and Eastern Colorado State roads (Lamar, LaJunta, Kit Carson areas, etc.),

I've only been that way in the middle of the night with way more cattle than I should have had on.Alot of trucks run that route,but the other two routes are much more enjoyable,as the road was getting pretty rough last winter,unless they did some repairs this summer.

Latest posts