Fort Worth Stockyards

Help Support CattleToday:

CopeMan

Reaction score
I know that the Fort Worth Stockyards last auction was back in the early 90's, but did anyone ever go there when they did sale cattle? Was it just feeder calves, or was it everthing like ,head cows, and pairs ,and bulls, etc. Just like all other cattle markets?

CopeMan":1b1vdw4n said:
I know that the Fort Worth Stockyards last auction was back in the early 90's, but did anyone ever go there when they did sale cattle? Was it just feeder calves, or was it everthing like ,head cows, and pairs ,and bulls, etc. Just like all other cattle markets?

Back in the Fort Worth Stock Yards hayday they mostly sold fed cattle. Both Swift and Armor Packing plants were just across the tracks from the yards.

When it was winding down in the mid to late eighties, it was just like any other sale barn. I knew some buyers that went there and I'd always see them at another Monday sale by middle of the afternoon. Around the same time, I was carrying some killing horses to a plant just down the street from them once or twice a month. You'd hardly ever see anybody hauling cattle to or from the sale. Not much to it, even then.

From it's beginnings in the 1890s it grew to handling millions of head per year. The heyday was in the 40s. Down to a few hundred thousand in the early 70s. A brief history can be found at http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/onl ... /dif4.html.

It's a tourist destination now. Couple of museums, a big honky tonk, and countless restaurants, shops and Rexal Wranglers. The Cattleman's Steak House is outstanding.

Craig-TX

We went there in 70 and it was awesome. Still a awesome place to visit. Go on a weekend and there is always live music at Billy Bobs. Gret weekend trip. Also eat on the saddles at cattlmans steakhouse, great steaks.

Latest posts