Former Mn Gov passes at age 83

Help Support CattleToday:

Son of Butch

Reaction score
Flags will be at 1/2 staff in Mn this week as former Gov. Wendell Anderson (d) passed away at age 83

Mn has 87 counties
134 state representatives
67 state senators

I forget the exact dates and details, but it was the 70s and Mn was going to show the rest of the nation how to bring
big government under control. In one of the most amazing shows of cooperative bipartisanship of dems & republicans working together, passed what no person ever thought possible. Instead of redrawing new voting districts every few
years, they passed a resolution to cut the future number of the 134 state reps to 87 and state senators to 50
if I remember correctly in preset boundaries.
Both the House and Senate agreed to eliminate about 47 state reps and 17 senate spots, their own jobs!
It was remarkable, it was unbelievable. It was passed narrowly by the Senate. It was sent to Gov. Anderson to sign.
No way could he afford to veto; it had the support of both democrats and republicans.
What did he do?
He set it aside for a couple of months allowing the time for him to sign it expire ... a pocket veto.

All the effort and arguing to finally reach this remarkable agreement to cut government, down the drain.
The rest is history and our government has been growing larger and larger, decade after decade.

Looking back I view it as our last chance to bring government under control.
So close, but it didn't happen then and it won't happen now.

R.I.P. Spendy Wendy

all summer in a special session to eliminate the redrawing of voting district lines every few years

Latest posts