Formally Breaking a Cow/Steer

Help Support CattleToday:

SaddlebredAlly

Reaction score
Hey, there! 

I'm looking into purchasing a calf soley to have as a pet and possibly break. I do own one horse that I'll be moving from a boarding barn and onto my property so the cow/steer would be in the same field as the horse. My questions are: Can a cow be broken to ride in the same manner as a horse (lunging, desensitizing, flexing, etc...) or would it take a more individualized approach? Do cows think/react relatively similar to horses? Do they catch on fairly quickly to training/aids/voice commands or do they require a bit more time and patience? Is there anything else I should know regarding training or even cow ownership?

I've done tons of research but nothing quite specific enough to answer the above questions. I know it can be done but, so far, it seems that the ones that have broken cows just threw a saddle on or hopped on bareback until the animal got used to it. I would like to have quite a bit more ground work done before hopping on. If possible, my ideal cow mount would behave similarly to a well trained horse (respond to leg cues, body language, subtle rein ques, voice commands). Thanks in advance for any advice/answers you can provide! 

ETA: My horse has some arthritis which has cut my riding time in half. I'm looking for a project to occupy time without the expense of buying a foal/horse.

there was some girl on here a few months ago that had some cows broke to ride maybe someone can post who it was. Looked like she did a good job with them.

I must have missed that.. On facebook there's a "Riding cows" group... I have a bunch broke to sit on, you just aren't going anywhere

I don't know what's going on did not start this post. some one was asking about breaking cows to ride but it seems the question has been deleted. If this site is going to delete or let the first poster delete they should delete the whole thread. I could careless about breaking cows / steers to ride I hardly have time to ride my mules.

Even if not breaking it to ride, you could certainly break it to yoke/harness as a working steer/ox.
Google up 'Midwest Ox Drovers Association' and 'Tillers International' for info on training working cattle.

Lucky_P":ndzxlr6j said:
Google up 'Midwest Ox Drovers Association' and 'Tillers International' for info on training working cattle.

:nod: :nod: :nod:

Those are 2 very good resources.

You could also look up the Rural Heritage Website and get on their message board "the front porch", and get some more assistance there.

Latest posts