foreign beef

Help Support CattleToday:

spoon

Reaction score
I was making a pickup at a local place today that makes heat and serve diet meals. While I was waiting on the guy to find the paperwork I wandered over to the doors to the freezer to see what I could see since they were open. Inside was stacks of pallets of boxed beef from Brazil. I asked the guy why they used meat from Brazil and he said because it was cheaper and of better quality than the meat from Argentina. No mention of US beef. :roll:

I didn't think the USA allowed beef from Brazil in unless it was cooked and canned(corned beef), because of Foot and mouth? In Canada it isn't allowed in.
About ten years ago I went to a seminar on the beef business. The speaker was from Kansas and was an expert on foreign beef trade. At that time Argentine beef was supposed to be getting "Foot and mouth disease free status", with the implication it would be able to flow into North America freely. He said on the border between Argentina and Brazil the cattle trucks rolled right on through heading south, when the custom men went for coffee! He said the trucks would be lined up around the corner and would get the signal when the boys took their coffee break! Sure makes you wonder what kind of jackpot we might be getting into with "disease free" SA beef!

One more thing spoon:
I don't know if you ever heard of the "Jack in the Box" affair in Washington state about ten years ago?
This fast food hamburger chain "Jack in the box" killed a bunch of people with E-coli? On investigation they found the meat came out of Canada...in boxes "Product of Canada". Further investigation found out a good portion of the meat was kangaroo!
Some sleazy Canadian operator was buying this garbage "beef" from Australia, dumping it in a new box, stamping it and shipping it south! Sometimes I wonder if a lot of people involved in the meat trade aren't down right criminals...and that goes for all countries!

Alberta farmer":i4h267u9 said:
One more thing spoon:
I don't know if you ever heard of the "Jack in the Box" affair in Washington state about ten years ago?
This fast food hamburger chain "Jack in the box" killed a bunch of people with E-coli? On investigation they found the meat came out of Canada...in boxes "Product of Canada". Further investigation found out a good portion of the meat was kangaroo!
Some sleazy Canadian operator was buying this garbage "beef" from Australia, dumping it in a new box, stamping it and shipping it south! Sometimes I wonder if a lot of people involved in the meat trade aren't down right criminals...and that goes for all countries!

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/food/wormburg.asp

now that is the reason that the feeder calves an fat cattle dont bring much anymore.because the US imports alot of cheap meat from other countries.if they would quit importing meat our prices would go up.

The US is the worlds largest importer of beef, has been for a long time.
By law Brazil can only export to the US processed beef. That includes pre cooked ground, roast, steaks whatever. That means burgers can come in boxes, and reheated and sold. Same with all beef cuts.
The Brazilian beef production is huge, they lead the world in numbers of cattle.
Now the EU is Brazils biggest customer. That's changing with the free trade with South America.
This won't hurt US beef producers. [I should say hurt additionally] Because the US will continue to import all the beef there is demand for. Just like has been going on in the past.
Beef producers in countries like Australia will hurt more because of competition for the US markets.

spoon":zfmh9lt0 said:
I was making a pickup at a local place today that makes heat and serve diet meals. While I was waiting on the guy to find the paperwork I wandered over to the doors to the freezer to see what I could see since they were open. Inside was stacks of pallets of boxed beef from Brazil. I asked the guy why they used meat from Brazil and he said because it was cheaper and of better quality than the meat from Argentina. No mention of US beef. :roll:

No surprise there. I live near the Gulf Coast and like to make crawfish or shrimp ettufee every now and then. One would think the shrimp or crawfish come from the Gulf or Louisiana. Nope. China :help:

mnmtranching":28g3eh1s said:
Because the US will continue to import all the beef there is demand for.

Because politicians LOVE importation of goods. They're easy to tax.

The smaller beef producers are not generating the tax revenues for house of thieves.

BeefmasterB":ezk4ox2y said:
No surprise there. I live near the Gulf Coast and like to make crawfish or shrimp ettufee every now and then. One would think the shrimp or crawfish come from the Gulf or Louisiana. Nope. China :help:

I live in Alabama, about 90+++% of the catfish raised in this country are raised in Alabama or Mississippi. You could (literally) harvest the fish, process the fish, and have his little fishy self in my grocer's case in 36 hours and not drive 150 miles in the process. Instead we have Chinese and Vietnamese in most grocery stores. I did talk with management at the local grocery store and they did start stocking American catfish. Wal-Mart and Sams though are ALL Asian fish the last time I looked.

Latest posts