Ford v-10?

Help Support CattleToday:

I for one will disagree on the new diesels. They have too much pollution crap on them thats new. I will never understand the need for 800lbs of torque in a pickup. I pulled many a load 15-20k payload plus trailer weight on a 40' g/n with 400-500lb torque motors with no issues.
Diesel maintenance and a gasser are no where near the same cost wise, diesels are quite abit more no matter how you look at it. I know guys hotshotting that have 1.5-2 yr old 1 tons with the DEF and they are dropping 6-8k on repairs, trucks under 150k miles. One of my buddies has 30 plus 1 tons hotshotting and he is switching to gassers. He says the diesel repair bills are killing his profit.
I did get me a brand new truck today, 2013 F-250 crew cab 4x4, with the 6.2 gas motor. Trade of 4k and 2k cash, I am out the door for less than 30k..... Not going to do that in a new diesel.

saltbranch":2x5s3bfx said:
I for one will disagree on the new diesels. They have too much pollution crap on them thats new. I will never understand the need for 800lbs of torque in a pickup. I pulled many a load 15-20k payload plus trailer weight on a 40' g/n with 400-500lb torque motors with no issues.
Diesel maintenance and a gasser are no where near the same cost wise, diesels are quite abit more no matter how you look at it. I know guys hotshotting that have 1.5-2 yr old 1 tons with the DEF and they are dropping 6-8k on repairs, trucks under 150k miles. One of my buddies has 30 plus 1 tons hotshotting and he is switching to gassers. He says the diesel repair bills are killing his profit.
I did get me a brand new truck today, 2013 F-250 crew cab 4x4, with the 6.2 gas motor. Trade of 4k and 2k cash, I am out the door for less than 30k..... Not going to do that in a new diesel.
I agree about some of that, there isn't a need for the power. My dad had a 91 for non turbo diesel that we use to pull a 30ft gooseneck with a 17000lb track loader on, it was slow on these hills around here, but it worked.

On my dodge I took the egr and exhaust filters off, empty I get 24mpg, and that is something your not going to do in a 4x4 daully with a big gas engine. As far as scheduled maintenance I don't really see a big difference, now repairs are different.

If all I ever pulled was a 20ft gn stock trailer and a 14k flatbed, a 6.0 Chevy in a 3/4 ton would be fine, I could live with the poor fuel economy. I hope your new truck runs great and does you well.

I do not know much about mechanics, but I have owned a Dodge V 10 since 1996. It continues to be my only tow vehicle. I have never done anything to it except change the oil, tires, and brakes! It is a pulling machine! I have pulled full loads of cattle and horses over the mountains and it never misses a beat. Its a towing powerhouse. It has, and continues to be, a great truck for 17 years now with no repairs. The paint was so bad that I sprayed it with the canned version from the hardware store! (Just my :2cents: )

saltbranch":1qz10v7r said:
61,000 miles and the carfax thing shows no wrecks and regular maintenance with the exception of differential work at 18k. Will be my daily driver and hauling "stuff" on a regular basis. My heaviest trailer I own right now would allow for hauling a max of about 15k, that would be 4-6 times a year. Most loads are 9k on average, Most trips are 100 miles and flat lands of south texas.

Back to original topic, Saltbranch, I think that this truck would be would be a good fit for your operation. With the weights you listed on flat ground you should not have any problem at all. I am pulling the same weights in the mountains with a lowly 2 valve 5.4 (slow, but I still get there, and it keeps going and going). I was looking for a truck like this and never could find one when I was in the market. They either did not make many DRW v10s or those that do have them will not part with them. I ended up setteling for a F-250 with a 5.4 because it was very very cheap ($2,500). After getting a company truck with the V10 I wish I had held out for one of these. Good luck with what ever you decide.

Hotshot is a truck from a 1/2 ton to a 1 ton truck, sometimes medium duty trucks are included by some companies. Alot of the 1 tons will pull 40' goosenecks flatbed trailers. A hotshot is a truck for hire that will run parts to and from and oil rig location or docks for offshore drilling. On call 24/7. Its a load and go type operation that oil companies pay premium rates for.

saltbranch":2r7ob1u3 said:
Hotshot is a truck from a 1/2 ton to a 1 ton truck, sometimes medium duty trucks are included by some companies. Alot of the 1 tons will pull 40' goosenecks flatbed trailers. A hotshot is a truck for hire that will run parts to and from and oil rig location or docks for offshore drilling. On call 24/7. Its a load and go type operation that oil companies pay premium rates for.

Talking about hotshot drivers just makes my blood boil a little. I can't stand when they show up with a ticket but refuse to even touch what they are hauling. That... Im just a driver BS rubs me raw.

We have a good company that sends typically older guys out who are all very helpful. Every now and then we get some real PIA on other stuff that we don't set up the hauling. Sadly... they tend to be younger. :bang:

The lady drivers are usually real cool also.

Brute 23":u1a0i02x said:
saltbranch":u1a0i02x said:

Talking about hotshot drivers just makes my blood boil a little. I can't stand when they show up with a ticket but refuse to even touch what they are hauling. That... Im just a driver BS rubs me raw.

We have a good company that sends typically older guys out who are all very helpful. Every now and then we get some real PIA on other stuff that we don't set up the hauling. Sadly... they tend to be younger. :bang:

The lady drivers are usually real cool also.

You got that right. Never could stand that mentality when I was a owner operator. I do not put up with that at my time card job now. I have had several try that with me. I told them if you cant help,take it back or park in the back and I will unload later at my convenience. Had some try to charge me demerge time for sitting 8 hrs....Yea right. Told thier company we are not going to pay and no more trucks from that company will be allowed on property. they backed off that pretty quick.