Ford Ranger

Help Support CattleToday:

No, but I saw a new one on the highway drive past my neighbor's pasture.
It seemed to work just fine. Can't remember the last time I ever saw anyone drive a new pickup out in a pasture, only old ones.
IF they have a pasture, they have cattle and if they have cattle they can't afford to go out of their way to abuse new trucks. :)

I'm looking for a vehicle to cover a lot of ground fairly efficiently to keep the miles off my diesel. Needs to be reliable and pasture capable. I priced the Ranger out in 4dr, 4x4, exactly how I wanted, and it was not bad at all. It claims 20/24 city/hwy mpg.

I'm looking for a vehicle to cover a lot of ground fairly efficiently to keep the miles off my diesel. Needs to be reliable and pasture capable. I priced the Ranger out in 4dr, 4x4, exactly how I wanted, and it was not bad at all. It claims 20/24 city/hwy mpg.
What did it cost?

I wouldn't own a Ford Ranger simply because they are too small inside. No leg room, no head room, no butt room!

I bought a nice clean used 4x4 (a few year ago) thinking it would be an economical run around truck that wouldn't get stuck. In less than a year I sold it. I'm 6'4 so height matters.

I agree with D2 if you haven't sat in one you should if you are very big. Me personally a F150 ecoboost is a lot more truck for the same money and pretty good fuel mileage.

Are they smaller than the old Rangers? I'm 6-4 and had no problem with my father's 90 something Ranger with the 4 liter v6 engine. I think his was a 93.

Are they smaller than the old Rangers? I'm 6-4 and had no problem with my father's 90 something Ranger with the 4 liter v6 engine. I think his was a 93.
Larger the New Ford Maverick Pickup is about the size of the older Ford Ranger. I am driving a 2000 Ford Ranger with 310000. Had to take care of some problems but still cheaper than a truck payment. It is a 4 liter v6 terrible mileage.

I have 2 old ford rangers. 1980 something 4x4 that gets about 20 mpg.... gas gauge doesn't work so I fill it after about 200 miles on speedometer... keep a can of gas around if I think it is getting too close and put it in and then make sure I go fill it and the can. It varies alot as to how often I have to fill up, due to not always driving it.
Got a 94 I think (96 maybe), 2wd with a 4 cyl with 8 spark plugs that are a pain to change but it gets 23-26 avg. Run it everywhere... Have gotten a deer at least once a year for the last 6-8 years so it has plenty of dents... cracked half missing plastic grill... have replaced a couple of lenses on lights. It has about 240,000 on it. Odometer only has 5 spaces so goes to 99,000 and trips over and it had over 184,000 on the title that said actual....Both are straight drive. I had the top half of the engine in the 4x4 redone about 6 years ago and it runs good. Has a short somewhere that drains the battery and without taking all the wires apart and redoing, we just put in a cut off switch inside. Doesn't drain it fast but a couple of days... cut off was a cheaper fix. Been in there since 6 months after I got it.

I have no intention of owning a new one again...not making payments and wouldn't want to get it all smooshed by a cow.....or sliding into a fence post or anything... 2wd is not good in slick wet pastures but 4x4 works great.

Also, my son is 6'6" and he says the 4x4 has more room but he can drive the 2wd without feeling like he is bent over in half... not the greatest for his long legs... but he currently drives a 2000 (?) small GMC pickup for his running back and forth to save gas and says it is a comfortable little truck to drive. His legs are long and I have to move that seat up to reach the pedals comfortably. I drive with the seat all the way back in the rangers.

Quite a bit of difference in the new ones and the old ones. They have ecoboost motors, 10sp trans, 4dr, etc. They are ranked number 1 in midsized trucks.

Reading around on some other forums people are saying they can still get in the 18-22 mpg range with good 265 or 285 all terrain tires.

They have one at the dealer in town. I was going to stop by and test drive it today but didn't get a chance.

Screenshot_20220305-224547_Chrome.jpg

I have a 93 Ranger single cab I gave to my son. I felt like I was in a sardine can driving it as my son is built closer to the ground. If the new ones are reliable as those they should be good.

Sarah covers it pretty good.

Last edited:
In my experience a small pickup gets the same mileage as a full size in the pasture and a full size can do a lot more. Out on the open highways it might be different.

Latest posts