Ford or Dodge diesel

Help Support CattleToday:

agcntry

Reaction score
Looking at new and used diesel trucks and wanting opinions. I like the Ford better, but the 6.0 scares me a little. The Dodge has a good engine, but not sure if the body will hold up as a ranch truck.
Would appreciate experiences and opinions on both. TIA

We have a 7.3 L Diesel ford F250, a 99, we like it, one of the Vets we do business with bought a 2006 Ford F250 with the 6.0 and loves it, I know someone who has a Dodge also, and he loves it, I think it just depends on what you will use it for. We haul hay with ours and it does really good, pulls alot of weight, yet I'm sure the Dodge would do just as well. I personally like the looks of the older Fords myself, the 90's, and before.

GMN

I've always favored Fords...i've had a few chevys and dodges but they haven't compared to the standards that my fords have, but that's just my experience. My son has a 6.0 Powerstroke that he likes a lot, I prefer 7.3 though. Even the old non-turbo 7.3's are still very reliable and powerful engines. And a cummins may outpull a powerstroke, but in my opinion, a Ford is a lot more reliable around the farm, and it will pull anything you need to pull with a truck that size

have a 7.3L powerstroke that we pull with as well as a new 6.0L that we are breaking in. i don't think you'd be dissapointed with either really, the 6.0L has a little more snap, but I still think the 7.3L is better for pulling--just personal opinion. won't bash the dodge cummins because I have never had one and I know they run a LONG time with little or no problems-- I also think they will get down and lug when a stroker wont sometimes--as stated before I think it goes back to what you will use it for, and personal preference.

My dad hates the '03- present Fords. He likes his '02 but hates the new coil front springs and the 6.0 motor. He is planning on buying another truck and he said he will not even consider buying the new Fords. He said it will be Chevrolet (his favorite by far) or he hates to admit a Dodge. He has been in the car bisiness for years and says Dodges are the best they have ever been but they are bad if you want warranty work done because they deny the warranty over any little thing.

bubchub":3tlhq0o0 said:
My dad hates the '03- present Fords. He likes his '02 but hates the new coil front springs and the 6.0 motor. He is planning on buying another truck and he said he will not even consider buying the new Fords. He said it will be Chevrolet (his favorite by far) or he hates to admit a Dodge. He has been in the car bisiness for years and says Dodges are the best they have ever been but they are bad if you want warranty work done because they deny the warranty over any little thing.

I've got an 03 Ford with a 7.3L...they didn't start putting the 6.0's in until the later part of 2003

I'm still waiting for Ford to take the Cummins away from Dodge. If they ever do I'll be at the dealers the next day to order a new Cummins powered Ford. Of course the alternitive is a Cat conversion.Z

Get the ford or chevy. We had a dodge company truck that we used to haul oil drums, pull trailers, and do oilfield utility work. The cummins performed like a champ, but the rest of the truck fell apart. Dash cracked, door handles broke, the material above your head fell down, tailgate handle gave trouble and other sqeeks and raddles. It's a $10 saddle for a $50 horse.

I have an 05 Ford with the 6.0.
I put a SuperChips microtuner on it. I keep it in the tow safe mode. I get 50 extra hp and 112 extra torque.

My only complaint about the truck is that it has no get up and go until the turbo kicks in. Until you get use to it you can get ran over crossing intersections

For a ranch pickup I would definitly go Ford. For use an abuse nothing takes that better then a Ford. GMs ground clearance is way to low for any kind off off road use. An IFS is a no,no in my book as far as HD trucks are concerned. Look at the front end off both a Chevy an Ford an tell me what will take more abuse. As far as Dodge the Cummins is alright but the truck will fall apart around it. The coil springs on the Ford make for a nice ride an a much shorter turning radius then the previous leaf spring suspension.

farmerjohn":1y9hecfm said:
I have an 05 Ford with the 6.0.
I put a SuperChips microtuner on it. I keep it in the tow safe mode. I get 50 extra hp and 112 extra torque.

My only complaint about the truck is that it has no get up and go until the turbo kicks in. Until you get use to it you can get ran over crossing intersections

You need to run your diagnostic on the superchips tuner maybe a sensor needing reset by it. I use one on My 450 and I don't have any trouble and it's even got 4/30 gears, that slows the take off down some, the last one I had was 4/88 and that turbo stayed wound up but, sometimes it's not just in the turbo it's a lot of other things that "can" be involved.

agcntry":6n87cbb2 said:
Would appreciate experiences and opinions on both. TIA

Owned both Dodge's and Fords over the years, and each has their place. You will flat out not beat the Dodge for hard working. The solid front axle is fantastic for the really big holes and for control when heavily loaded.

Having said that, I just bought a 93 Ford with a 7.3L for a ranch truck and Dodge could learn a thing from Ford, vis-a-vis operator comfort. The Ford seats are far better than anything that Dodge has, and that includes the new trucks (my last Dodge was an 05 Laramie) and the Dodge trucks tend to suffer from too much wind noise that you just can't seem to correct.

So if you're going to be bouncing through truck swallowing holes while pulling heavy, buy the Dodge. If your work that you're doing is a little lighter, and you won't be towing as heavy, buy the Ford (I'll echo the "stay away from the 6.0L").

Rod

I have had Fords, I have two chevys and one 03 Dodge with Cummins. I love the Dodge, no problems. If you are a tall person the Dodge will give you lots of leg room, something I find lacking in chevy. The body is fine, will not fall apart; ours works only on the farm and for hauling cattle.

Never had a problem with warranty work.

The cummins has many fewer moving parts than any other diesel - that is why I bought it!

Billy

I've had both.I prefer the Dodge,with a c&m bed. you can now get a dodge cab and chassis.the new dodge will hav a different motor,6.7 i believe it is.still a cummins but bigger with less hp and torque.probably an emmission regulation or something caused this.it will however leave a lot more room for up-grades,chips,injectors ect.
go dodge

I own a 2004 ford 350 with the 6.0 straight shift. could not be more dissapointed in an engine. the cummings diesel is definitley a better motor. but the rest of a dodge leaves something to be desired. if it were possible the best truck that could be built would be a ford frame, an allison transmission(chevy), and a cummings diesel(dodge). just my opinion.

Latest posts