Ford F750

Help Support CattleToday:

Mahoney Pursley Ranch

Reaction score
Our VFD has ordered a Ford F750 with a Cummins/Allison EVS powertrain. This will be a Tanker truck,1200 Gallon.
Anyone have any experiance with this combo ? I know this is not your run of the mill farm truck but thought some of you might have some fleet experiance.

I have an International DT466 with an allison and a Kodiak with an allison behind a cat. Both are great and have never given a problem with over 200,000 on each. I have a cummins with almost 300,000 and no problems. So I guess it should be a great combo.

From what I see on CNN looks like you are going to get to try it out. Can't go wrong with the cummins and the allison seems good so it should be a good combo.
off topic but is Ford going to offer this in a F350 or F450?

kenny thomas":2r9zz3vc said:
From what I see on CNN looks like you are going to get to try it out. Can't go wrong with the cummins and the allison seems good so it should be a good combo.
off topic but is Ford going to offer this in a F350 or F450?

Not sure on a F350 or F450 but I doubt it. Go to a ford heavy truck website and you can see all the combos for engines and transmissions. The allison evs trans has a 5 year warranty,the regular allison trans would not have a warranty for the VFD (commercial use). Don't ask me what evs stands for,I don't have a clue.

DiamondSCattleCo":8lqixvpx said:
kenny thomas":8lqixvpx said:
but is Ford going to offer this in a F350 or F450?

No. F350/450 falls under the exclusivity agreement that Dodge has with Cummins.

Rod

And Ford dealers that sell cars and light trucks can not sell anything over a F450. Have to go to a large truck only Ford dealer for F550 and bigger. Dealer agreements.

DiamondSCattleCo":3ssll437 said:
kenny thomas":3ssll437 said:
but is Ford going to offer this in a F350 or F450?

No. F350/450 falls under the exclusivity agreement that Dodge has with Cummins.

Rod
I heard, although I have not looked into it, that the contract between Dodge and Cummins is almost up. Whether this is true or not I don't know, but I could see Ford trying to get the contract.

FarmGirl10":2zzzuqa7 said:
I heard, although I have not looked into it, that the contract between Dodge and Cummins is almost up. Whether this is true or not I don't know, but I could see Ford trying to get the contract.

The contract is done in 2011 or 2012 (my aging memory fails me). I don't think you'll ever see a Cummins in the light duty Ford, at least not for many moons. My reasons for this guess are:

1) Everytime the Cummins/Dodge contract has come up for renewal, its been done immediately. Often times its been done several years in advance. The last renewal was in 2003, and while Ford was still married to Navistar, they were in the middle of their issues with the 6.0. It would have been good timing.
2) Cummins is currently developing a small v6 for the 1500 Dodge, to be installed MY 2010. Wouldn't be very cost effective for either company to consider killing a 20 year relationship after all the R&D costs.
3) The "official" automotive press hasn't even suggested that Cummins was looking elsewhere.
4) Cummins just recently hired 400 more people to look after light diesels.
5) Ford spent a pile of money on developing their own diesel. They'd have to recoup that investment before they ever signed up with another company. The 2012 date that Ford would have sign by is just too close.
6) 100% speculation on my part: Given how much the cost of the Cummins option has risen in the Dodge trucks since 1988 (well past inflationary pressures), I get the feeling the contract between Dodge and Cummins is pretty fair for Cummins. Along the lines of "We're going to charge you THIS much. Any problems with that?". Ford on the other hand has a reputation for being pretty aggressive when dealing with its suppliers. Cummins is alot of things, but they ain't stupid. They know they have Dodge by the short 'n' curlies. While they'd certainly sell more engines to Ford, it would be at a much lower margin. Being able to stroke your own cheque has certain rewards too. Many companies would rather sell 100,000 engines and know they'll make money with every single one rather than sell 500,000 engines and wonder if they'll actually make money or not.

Rod

True, I don't think Ford would be able to get the contract, but I wounldn't say that they wouldn't try. I knew that they were trying to put a Cummins in the 1500 but I didn't think it was coming out that quickly.

I've not messed with Cummins Allison combo but have both in other trucks (Cummins Eaton)(Cat Allison) both seem to be fine.Your match should do fine.Sorry wish I could be more help.

Latest posts