Ford F150 Crew Cab Pickups

Help Support CattleToday:

cfpinz

Reaction score
Anybody here have/had one of the Ford Supercrew pickups? Somewhere in the 1997-2005 models to be specific. I'd like to have a half ton pickup with a big cab on it for traveling, either one of these or a GM truck similarly outfitted. Did either one come with a 5 speed? Things to look for or avoid with either truck?

Thanks.

dun":1637n31m said:
Look for the name FORD, avoid the name chevy or gm

That's what I've always done, but didn't know if there's any appreciable difference in the half tons.

cfpinz":30b5o3mt said:
dun":30b5o3mt said:

That's what I've always done, but didn't know if there's any appreciable difference in the half tons.
Of course there is! FORD good trucks, chevy/gm bad trucks

dun":2t68zbn0 said:
cfpinz":2t68zbn0 said:
dun":2t68zbn0 said:

Of course there is! FORD good trucks, chevy/gm bad trucks

There you go, having to spell it all out to him. Questioning the sanctity of Ford, must be mid-life crisis. :cowboy:

Kingfisher":2wsfk3b6 said:
cfpinz":2wsfk3b6 said:
dun":2wsfk3b6 said:

Does ford make a 1/2 ton four door?

They call is a "SuperCrew" or something of the likes. Has a short bed on it, looks like it's around 5' or so. I'm just wanting something to travel in, got plenty of big trucks here but they ride like crap. I don't really give a rat's ass about brand loyalty in a half ton, as long as it gets me where I need to go. Different story on the ton trucks, though.

I have a 2004 F150 Crew Cab 5.4L V8 4spd auto 4X4 short 5.5 ft bed. 90,000 plus
miles no problem gets about 16 mpg. all I've had done was a front end alignment.
I think it rides smooth, comfortable with 5 passenger room. Never pulled a trailer with
it so no data to share.
Thanks,
R.T.

Thanks, R.T.

I was curious about the gas mileage, does it do any better on long trips? Noticed they have 4.6 and 5.4 motors, but haven't seen one yet with a stick shift - I absolutely hate automatics.

cfpinz":2tpnsodz said:
Thanks, R.T.

I was curious about the gas mileage, does it do any better on long trips? Noticed they have 4.6 and 5.4 motors, but haven't seen one yet with a stick shift - I absolutely hate automatics.
Nest thing you know you'll be driving a John Deere!

cfpinz":1u9v15om said:
I'm just wanting something to travel in, got plenty of big trucks here but they ride like crap.

You wife doesn't want to get to MO this summer needing a spinal adjustment? :D

Most of the 4 door Fords come with the 5.5' beds. I had to look a while to find a 6.5' bed on a Supercab, and I never came across a Supercrew without the 5.5' bed.

dun":3mpjadiu said:
cfpinz":3mpjadiu said:
Thanks, R.T.

Nest thing you know you'll be driving a John Deere!

Funny thing about that. That shiney new green ornament that was delivered to my parents' house at New Year's is still sitting in the barn, hasn't been out since. Dad still uses the Fords to feed with everyday. I bet he doesn't pull it out the barn til he needs to use the round baler for the first time this spring, and then I'm skeptical. You old people sure are a weird bunch.

MistyMorning":rdzeb388 said:
cfpinz":rdzeb388 said:
I'm just wanting something to travel in, got plenty of big trucks here but they ride like crap.

You wife doesn't want to get to MO this summer needing a spinal adjustment? :D

She's lucky I don't give her a cranial adjustment!

jkwilson":1413biac said:
Most of the 4 door Fords come with the 5.5' beds. I had to look a while to find a 6.5' bed on a Supercab, and I never came across a Supercrew without the 5.5' bed.

I've found a couple of the cab and a half Fords with long (8'?) beds, and a couple with 5 speeds, but neither with four full doors. I messed around with one of my friends' extra cab truck a few days ago, the front was great but a full sized person isn't going to be comfortable in that back seat for any length of time. He did bring up a very valid point though. He reminded me that as much as I dislike people, I should probably get the ex-cab version so nobody wants to ride with me. The man's a genius.

I am very familiar with both trucks. They are both good trucks but if you are going a lot of miles the chevy hands down wins in gas mileage, has a smoother ride, and better acceleration. The Ford is better if pulling, hauling heavy loads in the bed, and their transmissions seem to outlast Chevy in the long run (over 100k).

Got a brother that bought a new Chevy two years ago. I never figured he would seeing that he, like me, is a diehard Ford man. He said he did it for the gas mileage. They wound up replacing the trasmision in it twice within one year. He said he figured out why Chevy's gas mileage was so much better. It was because it spent most of its road time on the back of a wrecker.

cfpinz":2ik7lklq said:
jkwilson":2ik7lklq said:

I've found a couple of the cab and a half Fords with long (8'?) beds, and a couple with 5 speeds, but neither with four full doors. I messed around with one of my friends' extra cab truck a few days ago, the front was great but a full sized person isn't going to be comfortable in that back seat for any length of time. He did bring up a very valid point though. He reminded me that as much as I dislike people, I should probably get the ex-cab version so nobody wants to ride with me. The man's a genius.
In your case you hsould just get a regular cab. That way you have even more of an excuse to not have to put up with poeple. I just keep the back seat so full of juhat there isn;t room for even the weaniedog

dun":15l27ovq said:
In your case you hsould just get a regular cab. That way you have even more of an excuse to not have to put up with poeple. I just keep the back seat so full of juhat there isn;t room for even the weaniedog

I hear ya. One thing I'd like is more leg room. The single cab ton trucks are good for about 8 hours, after that I get squirmy. Plus I'd like some room to store crap inside, not just a camper top or rubbermaid tote.

I found a SuperCrew here fairly local with a caved in door and beat up bed, right up my alley.

cfpinz":2hqrph7t said:
I found a SuperCrew here fairly local with a caved in door and beat up bed, right up my alley.
If it runs it's way above your usual class

Latest posts