Ford F-350 with Automatic Transmission

Help Support CattleToday:

HDRider

Reaction score
I just learned that Ford only offers an automatic transmission in their 350. It never occurred to me to use an automatic for towing.

Comments???

Dodge is the only truck that offers a Manuel transmission now. That's all I really care about anyway so for me it doesn't matter yet. Even on the dodges the highest hp options and towig capacity's are with the auto. I don't like the whole deal myself but there's not much we can do about it. You buy buy an automatic and get less fuel mileage, pay more for it, and IMO I just don't like driving them. But on fords and Chevys that don't offer anything else anymore I guess they Manuel's were not big sellers anyway or they wouldn't have quit building them.

B&M Farms":o12toa3u said:
The new automatics are pretty impressive as far as durability. The allsions in the chevy trucks at work have held up well. As long as the cooling system is working well I don't see any problem towing with them. The ford torqshift is actually rated for more input torque than the allison.

http://www.dieselhub.com/compare/torqsh ... -68RE.html
I was hoping someone was going to say that. Thanks

I have never towed with the 6140r Auto that they put in the Super Duty's, but my wifes F-150 has its little brother in it. They have the same features (select shift, gear lock out, tow haul, automatic gear downshifting) though. I never thought I would like an auto to tow with, but after pulling a camper 5,200 miles in two years with it, I hate to admit it, but I like it better than any manual that I have ever used.

I don't know why anyone would want anything but an auto? I swore off any truck with a clutch on the farm that anyone beside me was going to drive because we cannot keep clutches in them. AC said it was I hillbilly thing to want to tow with manuals till he took mine back to MO and had to stop on a hill that two manuals had spun out on. Once they got clear he just eased on off with the auto.

Mine pulls down the road fine, but autos seem to get hot in the field doing slow work like picking up bales.
Personally I'd rather have a manual.

Mine is older though, the new ones might be better.

Got a 2011 F350 dually. Tow anything from 7000lb stock, 14,000 skidsteer trailer, or 25k gooseneck. Tons of power and no problem heating up wether in fields or going up and down grades. Tranny scares me a little when not loaded. Too many electronics for me skip shifting hard sometimes. Just my two cents.

Latest posts