Ford E450 any good?

Help Support CattleToday:

MtnCows93

Reaction score
im looking at a 06 ford e450 with 6.0 and automatic, its a retired ambulance with 150K miles. sure they are ugly but i figure i can put a 12 foot bed on it with a gooseneck hitch. i guess it would be the same as a f450 maybe a little lighter built. anybody ever owned one?

MtnCows93":34ltuy7t said:
im looking at a 06 ford e450 with 6.0 and automatic, its a retired ambulance with 150K miles. sure they are ugly but i figure i can put a 12 foot bed on it with a gooseneck hitch. i guess it would be the same as a f450 maybe a little lighter built. anybody ever owned one?

If it hasn't been bulletproofed stay far far away.... I learned my lesson with them

skyhightree1":3rxk1eka said:
MtnCows93":3rxk1eka said:

If it hasn't been bulletproofed stay far far away.... I learned my lesson with them
are you talking about the 6.0 or?

The later model 6.0 (05-07) had a lot of the issues taken care of. There were something like two dozen updates between 03 and 07.

The E series 6.0 is detuned compared to the trucks, but the engines are identical.

You will need to build or buy a cab panel to cover up the walk through in the back. IIRC there is a company that makes them, they're not too expensive.

There was a 7.3 ex ambulance locally that I was thinking about buying, but with no 4x4 and the issues that it had made me pass.

The good about an ambulance, they get strict maintenance and repairs. The bad, they get ran hard and a ton of idle hours.

Vans are a booger to work on, BTW.

MtnCows93":10yxsz76 said:
skyhightree1":10yxsz76 said:
MtnCows93":10yxsz76 said:

are you talking about the 6.0 or?

Yes the motor look for older 7.3

im not a big diesel fan but as cheap as they are if i can get 50k miles id be happy. i can get it for $2500. i guess ill keep looking but i feel like its a good deal. i figured they retire ambulances well before they are unreliable

MtnCows93":ldf1c46n said:
im not a big ford fan or diesel fan but as cheap as they are if i can get 50k miles id be happy. i can get it for $2500

Those 6.0s are hit miss.. I have seen them with 300k miles with limited problems or 100k miles with 10k spent on them. I would say that one has been maintained and no mods added to the engine.

MtnCows93":1nd2rhv6 said:
im not a big diesel fan but as cheap as they are if i can get 50k miles id be happy. i can get it for $2500. i guess ill keep looking but i feel like its a good deal. i figured they retire ambulances well before they are unreliable

Like I said, the later years were leaps and bounds ahead of early models in reliability. Unfortunately that gets glossed over because of their reputation.

I'd definitely consider it, anymore if you spend 2500 on a full size truck you're lucky if it runs and drives.

I am not a 6.0 fan, had bad luck with company trucks but for 2500.00 I would roll the dice and get it. You can always have a shop bullet proof it if proves to a be good runner.

SALTBRANCH2":plm1s7xo said:
I am not a 6.0 fan, had bad luck with company trucks but for 2500.00 I would roll the dice and get it. You can always have a shop bullet proof it if proves to a be good runner.
yea i figure i could run it and if the motor gives problems just sell it, the most i could loose is 2 grand which would suck but i cant justify spending 10k on a truck which could potentially blow up or give problems too no matter what engine it has

Latest posts