Ford 7600 or 5600?

Help Support CattleToday:

the 5600 is 60hp.an the 7600 is 84hp.you need to check the hydro under load on both tractors.crank an drive both.

I've got a '78 model 7600 in the barn, best tractor I've ever owned. You're welcome to stop by and drive it for comparison!

Pay close attention to the Dual Power, listen to the turbo and check your blow-by. The pto will chatter when it's left on and the tractor is left idling, the gears are straight cut. Make sure it cuts off properly. With the pto off, my clutch/DP will chatter a slight bit when in the High side with the tractor running and the clutch out, my 7710 is worse. Front end bushings, wheel bearings, all the normal crap. Every 7600 that I've seen has had the inline injection pump, you're supposed to change oil in the pump at every oil change but 99.9% of people don't do it. Over time diesel fuel gets in the oil side of the pump and displaces the oil, which in turn lets the internals of the pump wear excessively. Poor design and 500 bucks + when it tanks, the newer pumps have an oil flush off of the crankcase. Watch the smoke, beware of some yahoo (like me) that's cranked on the fuel too much and look for slop in the rear end. It would be nice to pick up a roll or something heavy with the 3pt and see how long it maintains before it "hiccups" - anything over 5 seconds is acceptable.

The 7600's are excellent tractors, anything you can do with a 5600 can be done with the 7600, but not the opposite.

cfpinz":dyebdbuu said:
I've got a '78 model 7600 in the barn, best tractor I've ever owned. You're welcome to stop by and drive it for comparison!

Pay close attention to the Dual Power, listen to the turbo and check your blow-by. The pto will chatter when it's left on and the tractor is left idling, the gears are straight cut. Make sure it cuts off properly. With the pto off, my clutch/DP will chatter a slight bit when in the High side with the tractor running and the clutch out, my 7710 is worse. Front end bushings, wheel bearings, all the normal crap. Every 7600 that I've seen has had the inline injection pump, you're supposed to change oil in the pump at every oil change but 99.9% of people don't do it. Over time diesel fuel gets in the oil side of the pump and displaces the oil, which in turn lets the internals of the pump wear excessively. Poor design and 500 bucks + when it tanks, the newer pumps have an oil flush off of the crankcase. Watch the smoke, beware of some yahoo (like me) that's cranked on the fuel too much and look for slop in the rear end. It would be nice to pick up a roll or something heavy with the 3pt and see how long it maintains before it "hiccups" - anything over 5 seconds is acceptable.

The 7600's are excellent tractors, anything you can do with a 5600 can be done with the 7600, but not the opposite.

I am going to look again tommorow but I dont think it has dual power. Just regular 8 speed like my old 5000.

What do you mean hiccups?

Dad's 7600 is set up like the one you're looking at, I think his DP is on a roughly 1/2" diameter rod about a foot long that's on one side or the other of the dashboard around knee height. It's hooked to a cable that runs down in top of the bellhousing.

"Hiccups" referrs to how the 3pt will bounce every so often as it bleeds down under load and then readjusts itself back to where the 3pt controller says it should be, clear as mud?

cfpinz":1ozp8nat said:
Pay close attention to the Dual Power, listen to the turbo and check your blow-by. The pto will chatter when it's left on and the tractor is left idling, the gears are straight cut. Make sure it cuts off properly. With the pto off, my clutch/DP will chatter a slight bit when in the High side with the tractor running and the clutch out

My PTO clatters when its on, and then gets louder and a bit warm when its used under load. Is this a split the tractor issue?

Stocker Steve":2q9dwxhw said:
cfpinz":2q9dwxhw said:
Pay close attention to the Dual Power, listen to the turbo and check your blow-by. The pto will chatter when it's left on and the tractor is left idling, the gears are straight cut. Make sure it cuts off properly. With the pto off, my clutch/DP will chatter a slight bit when in the High side with the tractor running and the clutch out

My PTO clatters when its on, and then gets louder and a bit warm when its used under load. Is this a split the tractor issue?

Chattering at idle doesn't bother me, but under load is concerning. These tractors must be split to overhaul the pto clutch pack, but that's beside the point. The chattering under load sounds more like a gear or bearing issue to me, there is a 6" or so square plate with 4 bolts in it behind the top link attachment point. You can take this off and inspect some of the gears and bearings from there.

5600 had a 4.2 X4.2 233 cid engine-not the 256 that was in the 5000(68-75).The 7600 has a 256 with a turbo.The 233 was in the earlier 5000 from 1963-67.They put the 256 in the 6600.When the 10 series came out they went to 268in the 6610 and 7610 and put the 256 in the 5610.The Dual Power on my 7600 is on the right.Always lock the brake when you park it-hydro leaks down and tractor rolls.You can get a kit to extend the length of the lock or make your own.I recommend you do.

mtncows":1p97qdgw said:
5600 had a 4.2 X4.2 233 cid engine-not the 256 that was in the 5000(68-75).The 7600 has a 256 with a turbo.The 233 was in the earlier 5000 from 1963-67.They put the 256 in the 6600.When the 10 series came out they went to 268in the 6610 and 7610 and put the 256 in the 5610.The Dual Power on my 7600 is on the right.Always lock the brake when you park it-hydro leaks down and tractor rolls.You can get a kit to extend the length of the lock or make your own.I recommend you do.

I've often wondered why Ford used the smaller engine in the 5600's, just never cared enough to ask.

The DP lever on my 7600 is on the left, but it's an open station. I think Dad's is on the right now that you mention it.

Got a 7600 and only problem is the pto clutch. The pto spins all the time now. Also have a 3600 and love it also. Ford made some great tractors in that series and years.

cfpinz":1ayoq7ne said:
[I've often wondered why Ford used the smaller engine in the 5600's, just never cared enough to ask.

The DP lever on my 7600 is on the left, but it's an open station. I think Dad's is on the right now that you mention it.
Ford used the 233cu in engine in the early 5000's from 65-67 rated around 55 hp. The 4000 started out with a 45 hp 192 cu in which later was upgraded to 201 and My 7600 cab tractor has its hi-lo lever on the right (79 model).It connects by rod to the tranmission.